Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows update and black screen  (Read 5637 times)

mhpfed

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    windows update and black screen
    « on: August 19, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »
    Hello

Two nights ago, my boyfriend was using the computer and said he saw a pop up message (not very computer savvy and not sure what it said) but knows it was something about updating and the computer would shut down in 12 minutes. So he just closed it right then.

In the morning when I got to the computer, it seemed normal. I opened it up, typed in the password and got to the desktop. It then went to blue screen and said windows is now updating do not power down your computer etc. So I kept it open and let it update.

When it restarted, I saw the toshiba logo then a black screen with a white cursor in the top left hand corner then it goes to a all black screen. I left it alone for about 30 minutes thinking it needed to work it self out, but nothing changed. Every time I restart it, the same thing happens....toshiba logo, white cursor then total black screen. The key board still works like cap lock and number lock can be changed. Not sure if that matters. Also, I am unable to go into safe mode, hit f8 to no avail.

additional info:
    the laptop is about  a year and a half old. It has never been repaired. It's a Toshiba satellite. The virus program used on it is avg and ad-aware. Windows 7 I believe

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    « Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:32:51 AM by mhpfed »

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: oh no! Black screen
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:03:40 AM »
    Good morning mhpfed and welcome to CH

A couple of things to check if the boot order got changed by mistake and you will be able to tell by doing this.

#1... When you start the PC keep on tapping F12 to change the BIOS boot order when the box pops up use the arrow keys to pick the hard drive and then push enter key and it should go to your desktop after the updates finish. If the PC starts normal then you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS. To change the boot order in the BIOS just restart the PC and keep on tapping the F2 key and in the boot section just make the hard drive the first device and just make sure you save the changes and you will be good to go.

#2... If there is any devices are plugged into the PC try unplugging them. If there is a USB thumb drive, external hard drive etc. They can stop the PC from starting.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you make out, Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

mhpfed

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: windows update and black screen
      « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »
      Ok thanks for helping!! Just to clarify, when I go to the boot menu, HDD/SSD is the hard drive right?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
      Hi again

Yes if that is your option than try that one. The HDD means hard disc drive. The SSD mean solid state drive

Good luck Mike
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

mhpfed

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: oh no! Black screen
        « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »
        #1... When you start the PC keep on tapping F12 to change the BIOS boot order when the box pops up use the arrow keys to pick the hard drive and then push enter key and it should go to your desktop after the updates finish.

#2... If there is any devices are plugged into the PC try unplugging them. If there is a USB thumb drive, external hard drive etc. They can stop the PC from starting.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you make out, Mike   

Ok, so I selected the HDD/SSD and it went back to the black screen with no cursor. Do you think it is updating?? I will leave it as this screen for a while and see what happens

Also, there are no devices plugged into the laptop.

Thanks again

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
        Welcome back again mhpfed

It may be updating what OS you were thinking it was Windows 7 if it is than windows updates you will see usually something saying progress 30% of 100 etc and you may see white lettering blowing by really fast too. If windows is doing SP1 (service pack 1) it can take an hour or more to complete.

But just to be safe I would save your data using a linux cd from here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/274691-use-puppy-linux-live-cd-to-recover-your-data/ then see how it goes.

But if you can't get into the PC either in safe or normal mode you will have to your Windows 7 disc to repair the OS. But hopefully you will be OK once the update is done.

Hope this helps, Mike

mhpfed

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »
          Thanks Mike,

there are no flashing words or anything on the screen at all. It did restart itself once, but did the same thing. Toshiba logo and then white cursor and is now back at the black screen. It has been going like this for over an hour

There isn't really anything on the computer worth saving, so I'm not worried about backing it up with a disk. Should we try to re install windows?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »
          Good afternoon mhpfed and welcome back to CH

From what I am able to pick up out of your posts it sounds like some of the windows files just got corrupt or maybe the hard drive went bad.

First what model laptop is yours (i.e L500-S5408 etc) this will be on the label on the bottom of the unit. I am not finding any clear cut instructions for you to follow before you follow the steps below please let me know what your model is first. The I might be able to find some instructions for your model.    

#1... As a test you should go the link that was for puppy Linux and see if it boot off it and if you can see any of the contents of the hard drive plus you can get anything that you want at this point and time so long as you have some where it save them on. If you can not see the hard drive or get anything off of it the hard drive may be bad.

#2... If you want you can fix the windows installation that is there by repairing off the restore disc's most Toshiba disc's have this option.

#3... Do a fresh install of windows from the restore disc's

#4... Most Toshiba have a 1 year part warranty "the laptop is about  a year and a half old" so if the hard drive is bad do you have a extended plan?

The choice is completely yours on what path you want to do, please let us know how you make out or if you have any more questions, Mike