Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changeable Laptop CPU  (Read 9729 times)

ShaneTFletcher

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • If In Doubt, Check It Out
  • Experience: Experienced
Changeable Laptop CPU
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:33:48 AM »
So, I researched about changing a laptops CPU. Every forum, blog, article state that 99% of laptops processors cannot be changeable. This is because most are stuck onto the motherboard with some sort of glue.
HOWEVER............
Every laptop I have looked at including HP Pavilion, HP G62, Sony Vaio, Acer, Dell and more do have changeable CPU's?

The GPU is not changeable as its glued in. Only some laptops (Dell) allow a changeable GPU but 99% of laptops do not due to the graphics is integrated onto the mainboard.

Now tell me if I'm wrong here but all the laptops I have seen and done do have changeable processors and supports a higher processor speed. Let me give you an example; HP Pavilion DV6500, AMD Turion 1.6GHz, upgraded to AMD Turion 2.3Ghz and works fine! Socket S1 was the processor slot!

So, the thing I am getting a bit mad about is that most computer knowledge people are giving wrong advise!

If you think I am telling porkies about this, find a laptop model (maybe yours), ebay or google your motherboard model (model name by using CPUID) and tell me if your motherboard doesn't have a changeable processor!

This will be very interesting

Just to add: The processor slot is only in by a screw holder. Meaning you just rotate the screw to release the CPU!
If In Doubt, Check It Out

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Changeable Laptop CPU
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:04:30 AM »
In all the Laptop CPU's I have dealt with, they are easily removable. I even upgraded my 600Mhz Pentium III Dell to 1Ghz PIII with no troubles. Others I have dealt with were Toshiba's where I grabbed the faster CPU out of a dead unit with main board issues and installed that faster CPU into the slower, but good running laptop such as Pentium M's and Core 2 Duo's. I haven't dug into a modern laptop yet as for I haven't had a need to remove the CPU yet. I only assume that it should be easy to remove or upgrade.

As far as GPU's go though, all laptops I have dealt with were integrated GPU's soldered directly to the main boards so your stuck with say a 16MB ATI Radeon graphics limitation. There are laptops out there that are higher end that support GPU upgrades, but i havent had the luxury to own one yet. Its too bad they didnt socket the GPU and have some sort of conformity between say Intel, nVidia, and AMD/ATI so that you could swap and install better as well as replace them easily when they get overheated and damaged. I have a Toshiba Qosmio that has a cooked GPU, and its a shame because its a nice laptop, but the display has hairlines and pixelates and I know its the GPU because even the VGA out has the same issue when it heats up.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:11:37 AM »
Good morning ShaneTFletcher and welcome back to CH

Yes most sites will tell you that the laptop CPU's are not upgradable / changeable that is not totally 100% true "So, I researched about changing a laptops CPU. Every forum, blog, article state that 99% of laptops processors cannot be changeable. This is because most are stuck onto the motherboard with some sort of glue." Yes some laptops CPU's are soldered (not glued) into the motherboard and some are held in place in a CPU socket when any type of glue is used on the corners to help hold them down as the CPU heats up. The problem with making this change is finding what CPU options are out there for a certain PC. The major laptop companies are very tight lipped on upgrades when it come to CPU's.

But there are many variables to keep in mind even if the PC will run with a upgraded CPU. Will the heat sink cool unit properly, will the CPU fan be able to cool the faster CPU and this can also change the FSB speeds / CPU timings / Voltages and that will affect the memory settings too.

This too is kind of true but laptop and netbooks can have a zif socket or the CPU is soldered in place "
Every laptop I have looked at including HP Pavilion, HP G62, Sony Vaio, Acer, Dell and more do have changeable CPU's?"
and this depends on the laptop model.

I can understand what you are saying here but what a lot of them are error in on the side of caution "So, the thing I am getting a bit mad about is that most computer knowledge people are giving wrong advise! with what information is available and the time spent on making that kind of drastic change if it does not work then it has to be R&R again to change it back if it doesn't work. Laptops are not as easy as most desktops.

This is not always true even if the CPU is in the same CPU chip family this is dependent on many things including the north & south bridge chipset's. But this is a good place to start to find out what CPU may be compatible "If you think I am telling porkies about this, find a laptop model (maybe yours), ebay or google your motherboard model (model name by using CPUID) and tell me if your motherboard doesn't have a changeable processor!"

Yes a lot of the laptops the GPU is soldered in place not glued these are called BGA (Ball grid array) "Only some laptops (Dell) allow a changeable GPU but 99% of laptops do not due to the graphics is integrated onto the mainboard" yes this kind is integrated / soldered If you see any glue that is on the corners to help hold them in-place for as the chip warms up and cools down because of chip creep. Dell laptops are not the only ones, Asus, HP, Alienware and a lot of other manufactures have upgradable video cards. 

This is close but they are a zif (Zero insertion force) socket with a locking /actuator screw and not a slot the screw rotates the lock / actuator for removal & replacement of the CPU "Just to add: The processor slot is only in by a screw holder. Meaning you just rotate the screw to release the CPU!"

Long story short yes this can be done but there is a lot of variables to keep in mind when this kind of upgrade is done.

Hope this helps someone if they attempt to do this kind of upgrade. Mike   
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

ShaneTFletcher

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • If In Doubt, Check It Out
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 04:16:19 AM »
Yey, finally some real information!

Most question websites or forums will go "Nope, the CPU is stuck onto the motherboard 99% of times".

Thank god for this forum and topic has come alight so people can read and see that laptop CPU's can be changed (if the CPU supports the motherboard).

Thanks guy's for commenting and bringing this topic to light.
If In Doubt, Check It Out