Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Full build questions;  (Read 4998 times)

BennyF

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    • MyGPal
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Full build questions;
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
Ok, I have an array of questions as I am quite literally in the middle of my first build and a little confused.

My first question is;
From my HAF-X front panel there is a cable with 2 headers 1 HD Audio the other AC-97, I am finding it quite hard to locate where the heck this goes on my ASRock Extreme9 X79 Motherboard.

Second:
I have a Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25 and I'm a little confused with 2 things about this.
The first; The Heat sensors, do they stay in those tubes? I'd presume they don't but the 'manual' for the Kaze is quite well, confusing. It's like 5 pictures with 1 line of text that explains nothing.

Second; to Power the unit It has a 4 pin something-a-rather that goes into my power supply, Only issue is I can't find a cable that'll go from my PSU to the Kaze.

Third:
I'm intending on running 2 AMD Radeon (Sapphire) 7950 in Crossfire, The crossfire power input, do I put anything in that?

Fourth
I have a cable running from my HAF-X Front panel that would appear to be a fan L.E.D on/off cable, If I'm using the Kaze can I just ignore this cable and tuck it away?

Parts:
Coolermaster HAF-X
ASRock Extreme9 X79
Intel socket 2011 3930k
Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC (x2)
G.Skill Ripjaws Z - F3 16GB DDR3 2133
Cosair AX-1200
Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25" fan controller
Currently recapping my PHP Knowledge and learning MySQLi and PDO.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Full build questions;
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
First question: the front panel audio header is on the back of the included sound/network card.  You'll need to plug the HD Audio connector in, just tie up the AC'97 plug out of the way (or leave it dangling if you're not worried about it looking neat).
Second question: the temperature sensors are meant to be taped to whatever it is you want to take the temperature from.  There should be some little bits of tape in the package.  The power connector is a floppy power connector, the AX1200 will have some Molex to floppy converters in its cable bundle.  It's not exactly neat, but floppy connectors aren't too common any more so it's understandable.
Third question: you shouldn't absolutely need to, that connector is more to provide additional power when running triple or quad cards.  The 7950s aren't too power hungry anyway, so it's not a necessity.
Fourth question: Yes, you can.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums :)

BennyF

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    • MyGPal
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »
By "included sound/network card." do you mean the Game Blaster of the chipset? If it's the chipset, god *censored* xD I'm going to have to remove my GPU's and Radiator :(

On the third answer, It's not a necessity, but would it increase performance?

Sort of out of topic with the thread, but is there any RAM Coolers that support the ASRock X79 Extreme9, I purchased a G.Skill cooler but dang heatsync pipes of the motherboard won't allow it to fit :(

How accurate would the CPU heat reading be if I put a Head censor on the backplate of the socket?

Thank you for your answers.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
By "included sound/network card." do you mean the Game Blaster of the chipset? If it's the chipset, god *censored* xD I'm going to have to remove my GPU's and Radiator :(

The Game Blaster, yeah.  I love how Asrock included it, using a PCI-E X1 slot, and only included one such slot so you have no option as to where to put it.  Very considerate of them.

On the third answer, It's not a necessity, but would it increase performance?

Won't make any difference to the performance at all.  It's only needed when there are a few power hungry cards installed, to save them drawing too much power through the board and burning out the 24 pin connector (very rare, but can happen - not with a setup like yours though).

Sort of out of topic with the thread, but is there any RAM Coolers that support the ASRock X79 Extreme9, I purchased a G.Skill cooler but dang heatsync pipes of the motherboard won't allow it to fit :(

As in, an additional cooler that fits over the RAM?  Which G.Skill cooler do you have?  There may be a slightly less bulky cooler that might fit, but with the design/layout of your board it is pretty awkward.

Thank you for your answers.

No problem.

BennyF

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    • MyGPal
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »
Just actually managed to squeeze the Game Blaster in between the 2 GPU's, it's a tight fit and cuts half off the first Slot card's fan but It should be managable.

Also, I have the G.Skill Turbulence II, I don't think it'll be really required as there are more fans in the case then there are hairs on my chest but I just figured it'd be a good safety measure.

I Think I found the Molex to floppy, Not as long as I would have liked, and why does it have 3 of those 4 pin weird things from before my time? xD

Also, my front 230MM fan has 1 of those large 4 pin inline options, should I use it or just use the connectors which are actually from my generation?

What is a good way to check is the Antec Kuhler 620 is working? Don't want to let it go through a full bootup if the cooler isn't working.

(Sorry about so many questions, Just don't want to go and wreck a computer before I even use it)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »
Also, I have the G.Skill Turbulence II, I don't think it'll be really required as there are more fans in the case then there are hairs on my chest but I just figured it'd be a good safety measure.

Those RAM coolers aren't necessary, unless you like the looks.  The RAM will run nice and cool at its rated 1.5V, especially with good airflow which the HAF has.  Looking at it more closely, I don't think there's a RAM cooler available that will fit properly unfortunately.

I Think I found the Molex to floppy, Not as long as I would have liked, and why does it have 3 of those 4 pin weird things from before my time? xD

Found a picture here for you, the adapter is the second from bottom on the left.  They are pretty short heh, makes it a pain when you do need to use them, but thankfully floppy connectors are barely used any more - at least they're not on the cable with the Molex connectors for once!  Which are the "weird 4 pin connectors" though?

Also, my front 230MM fan has 1 of those large 4 pin inline options, should I use it or just use the connectors which are actually from my generation?
Makes no difference how it's connected, from memory it can use either a Molex or a 3 pin fan connector, which you choose is entirely up to you.

What is a good way to check is the Antec Kuhlmer 620 is working? Don't want to let it go through a full bootup if the cooler isn't working.
Just load up into the BIOS and check the temperatures, if it's constantly rising then the pump isn't working.  It'll vibrate (a little or a lot, depending how sensitive you are) but that doesn't necessarily mean it's working.  Just a quick tip, if you didn't already know - make sure the 3 pin connector from the pump isn't on the CPU fan header, it won't work properly from there.

(Sorry about so many questions, Just don't want to go and wreck a computer before I even use it)

No need to apologise, better to ask and be sure.  I've built a lot of computers in my time so I don't mind answering any questions.

BennyF

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    • MyGPal
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »
*censored* those cables are short, Just went and found the right 1 and gave it a look, I think I can rule out cable magament on that 1.

With the CPU Fan header, is there any particular 3 pin i should plug it into or just a normal fan header?

Which are the "weird 4 pin connectors" though?

It's the floppy thing xD, I Suppose I never actually looked inside a case until last year so probably not weird to someone who's been in them for ages.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »
Just a normal 3 pin header will be fine, it's just if you plug it into the CPU fan header the board sometimes varies the voltage even if you disable speed control, which damages the pump.
Yeah, those floppy connectors are pretty old now heh.

BennyF

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
    • MyGPal
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
The only pins the pump would reach were PWRFAN, hopefully that's ok otherwise the only other option i'v got is the Fan Controller

I Feel quite sad, out of all the Cosair cables, so far only the main 24p has been long enough to tuck through the back, and even then it only just made it :( sadly due to this I had to remove the 120mm fan duct, is this going to seriously effect me?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:25:08 PM by BennyF »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »
The PWR header will be fine, yes, that's often the only other header within reach and I've used it many times.
As for the cable length, they can be an issue in a very large case like the HAF X. It won't affect your cooling having removed the fan duct, but if you want to tuck the cables away a little better, NZXT and Bitfenix do nicely braided cable extensions which might help, I've used both myself in various builds.