Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't find one of my wireless adapters  (Read 6873 times)

giggi

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    can't find one of my wireless adapters
    « on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »
    Hi,
    I've seen similar questions but not this precise question.
    I've had this HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC for about two years; I always noticed a quirky thing with the hidden icons on the bottom right...an exclamation point through one of them saying Intel My Wifi Technology:  adapter not found.  I never needed to check because I've never had problems with my wireless connection (I also have a Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter, it seems).  Today I got curious and right clicked the icon; a blue box from intel comes up saying Network Adapter Not Found.   I checked my HP Support Assistant and it says I have the miniport adapter from Intel!  I pulled up Intel My Wifi Utility Help and it gives directions for "Start Intel My Wifi Technology" by going through start menu and all programs but what it tells me to look for is not there (Intel PROSet Wireless/Intel my Wifi technology).
    Before, just looking at the icon with the exclamation point, I just thought this second adapter was an option I didn't have; now that I've looked around I believe I am supposed to have it--but I've had the weird icon from the very beginning...this didn't happen after frying a mother board or anything.
    I kick myself for not taking time to check this out while it was under warranty; I was wondering, however, if it might actually be there somewhere but I don't know how to access it. 
    My computer is enhanced for graphics, did not come with any disks and has a D drive for recovery.
    Do you have any suggestions?  There might come a time when I wish I had that second wireless adapter!  :-*

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: can't find one of my wireless adapters
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »
    Good evening giggi and welcome to CH

1St make your restore DVD's here is HP link on making them with a nice video http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01867124#N102 But it is very easy just , click Start ( ), click All Programs , and then click Recovery Manager . Depending on the model you ill have 2 options 1 to make DVD's (about 3-4 disks) or the media version such as a USB flash drive. ****Keep one thing in mind once you make them either version you can ONLY make one set.

So now that is over go to HP here http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html put in your model and download the drivers for your OS and bit version so if your OS is 64 bit download 64 bit drivers. I would go and get the most up to date drivers for chipset, wireless card etc and I would install them in that order. Unfortunately the Intel Pro wireless drivers on some wireless cards can be a pain and just do not want to be good ;D If you are not sure how to find out what bit version you have just RT click my computer and g to properties and look up top (i.e Windows Home Premium 64 bit) if all you see is the OS name with no numbers you have 32 bit OS.   

Please let us know how you make out, Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: can't find one of my wireless adapters
    « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
    Good evening giggi

All you would have to do is download the drivers for your chipset drivers, network card drivers (onboard NIC) the wireless drivers. Also it is a good thing that you made the disks they are very handy in-case the hard drive ever fails ;D

I would install them in the order that I have wrote above "chipset, network card (NIC) wireless card etc and I would install them in that order". I would go into the device manager so you know what the make (manufacture) of the Network card (nic), wireless card etc "network connections" or "network adapters". If your PC came with more than 1 wireless card just download and install them both.

Hope this helps, Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?