Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My icon by the clock says "cable unplugged" but it is not  (Read 10394 times)

scubatony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
My icon by the clock says "cable unplugged" but it is not
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
Hi There
For some unknown reason my internet seems to have gone from my tower.
Yet I can still get on line via my latops

1 with a cable connection
2 with a wireless contection.

The cable from the modem to tower has been checked with a LAN cable check and all is good

if I go into Control Panel > Network Connection, I am told "cable unplugged or firewalled"

i have even through system restore back to Monday last week 13th August but still have the problem.

I am online at the moment typing this via my dongle

I run Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, I have even tried disabling that, with no luck

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: My icon by the clock says "cable unplugged" but it is not
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
Good afternoon scubatony and welcome to CH

If I am reading / understanding your post correct it sound like 1 of 2 things happened.

The drivers for the network card are corrupt or the network card it self has failed.

Is the network card integrated into the motherboard or is it a PCI card and what model is the desktop (i.e Dell C521 etc) and what OS (operating system) are you running on the problem PC.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner

scubatony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »
Good afternoon scubatony and welcome to CH

If I am reading / understanding your post correct it sound like 1 of 2 things happened.

The drivers for the network card are corrupt or the network card it self has failed.

Is the network card integrated into the motherboard or is it a PCI card and what model is the desktop (i.e Dell C521 etc) and what OS (operating system) are you running on the problem PC.

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike   
Hi There Mike
Thanks for the reply

There is no network card, it is an onboard card and I connect via RJ45 socket direct into the rear of the machine.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:08:26 AM by scubatony »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:00:44 AM »
There is no network card, it is an onboard card and I connect via RJ45 socket direct into the rear of the machine.
Physically there is no card. However on-board devices still appear to the system as add-on cards, unsurprisingly, these use drivers.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

scubatony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:55 AM »
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389

Hi There
Thanks for your help

In actual fact I had already been down that route but did not post it

Link Speed/Duplex Mode

1000Mbps/Full Duplex
100Mbps/Full Duplex
100Mbps/Half Duplex
10Mbps/Full Duplex
10Mbps/Half Duplex
Auto Negotiation

All there entries resulted in "Local Area Connection" A network cable is unplugged

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:49:47 AM »
The link mostly covers the main problem. However, the cable unplugged or firewalled(?) seems to be another issue. Try reinstalling or removing your protection software including disabling any firewall.

scubatony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 03:44:11 AM »
I have removed KIS 2012 and the problem is still there, it is now reinstalled

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »
Good morning scubatony and welcome back to CH

One thing you can check the network cable that goes from your PC to the router move the cable over one port.

So it will look something like this "internet" empty cable cable cable (This is just an example if you do not have 3 PC's then there would be just one cable)
                                                      Yellow          4        3       2      1
So if your cat cable is in port 4 (next to the internet port) move it over to another port.

You can also try restarting the PC into safe mode with network support and try to get on the internet if you can with out an issue than you may have a software program / second firewall etc running that is interfering with it / blocking that network connection. 

If that doesn't help try updating the network card drivers
also check that the network card is not disabled (but I don't think it is) to check this just right click the icon and when the grey box pops up if it says enable (in the list) then the device is disabled and just click on enable. 

Try replacing the cable even if the test said it was good doesn't mean the cable is good. Was this cable tested with the network cards software or with cable testing equipment. Just in-case you don't know Inside the cat cable there is 8 wires (4 twisted pairs) The lights on the network card if there are 2 one is for connection / power (this light should be steady lit) the second one is for activity (this one should be flashing / blinking)

If the above steps do not help go into the device manager and find the network card listed then right click on it and pick UN-install then reboot the PC when the PC is restarted windows will reinstall it automatically.

Hopefully this should take care of you. Please let us know how you make out.. Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

scubatony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 02:22:08 AM »
Good morning scubatony and welcome back to CH

One thing you can check the network cable that goes from your PC to the router move the cable over one port.

So it will look something like this "internet" empty cable cable cable (This is just an example if you do not have 3 PC's then there would be just one cable)
                                                      Yellow          4        3       2      1
So if your cat cable is in port 4 (next to the internet port) move it over to another port.

Been there done all that

You can also try restarting the PC into safe mode with network support and try to get on the internet if you can with out an issue than you may have a software program / second firewall etc running that is interfering with it / blocking that network connection. 

been there done all that

If that doesn't help try updating the network card drivers
also check that the network card is not disabled (but I don't think it is) to check this just right click the icon and when the grey box pops up if it says enable (in the list) then the device is disabled and just click on enable. 

Try replacing the cable even if the test said it was good doesn't mean the cable is good. Was this cable tested with the network cards software or with cable testing equipment. Just in-case you don't know Inside the cat cable there is 8 wires (4 twisted pairs) The lights on the network card if there are 2 one is for connection / power (this light should be steady lit) the second one is for activity (this one should be flashing / blinking)

If the above steps do not help go into the device manager and find the network card listed then right click on it and pick UN-install then reboot the PC when the PC is restarted windows will reinstall it automatically.

Hopefully this should take care of you. Please let us know how you make out.. Mike

To give you a bit of background information, so you will see where I am coming from

I ran my own Mechanical & Electrical Contracting Company till very recently when I closed it down due the recession.
I had a number of people working for me Electrician, Fitters etc.etc.

As part of the work that came in was the installation of computer networks and LAN's, I also built servers and populated racks.
Part and parcel of this busines was to test all the associated equipment, which included the various cables to that end amongst some of my equipment I have retained a Network Modular Cable Tester this very clever piece of kit will test pin outs, broken wires and crossed wires etc.

I am on several other Forums and as yet nobody has given me something that will clear this mess

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 06:23:53 AM »
Good morning scubatony and welcome back

I am sorry I didn't know that you had done all the suggestions as they were not in the posts and also that you have previous experience on cat cables etc.   

I was not trying to be a wise guy to you I was just trying to be as clear as possible as I was not aware of your experience.

If you are on-line with a usb / RJ45 dongle?

I am online at the moment typing this via my dongle
Well if nothing is working I would spend the 20$ and replace / bypass the on-board NIC.

The NIC is integrated disable it in the BIOS and buy a new network card install it and you will be all set. I really do not think it is a problem in the OS it self.

Hope this helps, Mike

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:36:32 AM by hartbeatmr »

scubatony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 01:43:23 AM »
At long last I have solved this problem

I made myself a drink of tea and sat and thought about the problem.

I then dissected it bit by bit what worked and what did not.

I came to the conclusion the cable modem works because I can get online with my laptop with the wireless facility.

So that rules the modem out.

I had already tested the LAN cable with my LAN cable tester, which proved ok.

I knew the tower was working, except for the LAN connection.

So by process of elimination I deduced that fault lay at the socket of my LAN connection on my tower.

As I build my own machines,like so many other people I had a spare daughter board LAN card which I have now installed,which works fine.

I was going to build another machine anyway sometime this year,because this tower is getting past its sell by date, so this problem has now escalated me into spending some money.

At this point may I THANK ALL who contributed to try and help me with my problem and if ever you are in the area ( South Wales )drop in for a cup of tea, no drink & drive here.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 01:46:02 AM »
hartbeatmr nailed it in the first reply.  ;D
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »
Good morning scubatony and welcome back

I am very happy that you got it fixed.  ;D

And thank you BC_Programmer that was nice of you. But with all  that aside we are all here to help folks like this and it doesn't matter who gave the right answer. The end result was what all of us want here on CH to help the OP fix there issue's.

Enjoy, Mike

scubatony

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »
hartbeatmr nailed it in the first reply.  ;D

well done that man /woman  :)