Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desk top icons not staying where I set them  (Read 3297 times)

barndoor

Topic Starter

Starter

Desk top icons not staying where I set them
    « on: August 28, 2012, 02:13:50 AM »
    Recently I got a virus via an email sent from a friend which took over my PC. I have resolved the problem (?) by doing a system restore & running AVG anti-virus temporarily to find the culprit which I was able to remove. ( I normally only run Microsoft Security Essentials without dramas).I then deleted AVG so as not to conflict with MSE & then ran MalwareBytes & Spybot to clean out any other problems. All seems to be OK now however I cannot get my Desktop Icons to stay in my preferred location. I have tried unchecking & rechecking Auto arrange & aligning icons to no avail. I can m,ove them around the Desktop OK but when I restart they return to the left hand side of the screen  Any ideas please. I am using Windows 7

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Desk top icons not staying where I set them
    « Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:53 AM »
    Good morning barndoor and welcome to CH

With windows 7 right click on the desktop go into personalize, click on change desk top icons on the left of the screen, a new box opens un-tick the Allow themes to change desktop icons box.

Also you can try check autoarrange, and then uncheck it. This removes the check from whatever sort you have set now.

If the above don't work this usually works http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/save-and-restore-desktop-icon-layout-in-windows-vista/

Please let us know how you make out, Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

barndoor

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »
      Hi hartbeatmr,
      Thanks for your reply. Your first suggestions unfortunately didn't work so I have tried the howtogeek link & it has sort of worked. I still have to SHIFT+ right click & click Restore Icon positions every time I restart which is a pain but at least I can find what I'm looking for a bit easier. Checking & unchecking the display options have no effect. If I uncheck Align to grid it will be checked again when I reboot. Everything else seems to be working Ok since the virus problem I had except for this. I guess I'll just have to live with it.
      Thanks again,
      Bruce

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:26 AM »
      A little program like iconoid (http://www.sillysot.com/) can save icon positions and restore them at boot (or any time you choose manually)