Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cooling a server closet.  (Read 2991 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Cooling a server closet.
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
Hello to all. I have a simple question.

I currently have 5 servers, three of which are high density (1U) and two towers that i will put in the rack with them, and i am planning for expansion soon. My question, how would i cool the area the servers are in effectively. I hope to not run a dedicated A/C yet, so alternatives would be nice.

The closet i am referring to is a small room, the size of a small bedroom. I currently have 1 rack of equipment, the servers and two large network switch chassis.

This fills a rack quite nicely, so any other equipment i get would be in a new rack.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cooling a server closet.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
Good evening zeroburn and welcome back to CH

If you don't want to run a ac right now you may want too.

#1... If there is door on the room you could put a louvered door in it's place like this
#2... Put like a 20" box house fan in the windows to pull the hot air out. The one fan I am talking about are like the ones that you buy at HomeDepot, Lowes etc and are around 25$ Like this

Hope this helps, Mike
Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?