Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Games keep crashing (AGP PCI problem)  (Read 5246 times)

Michael Grassmyer

Games keep crashing (AGP PCI problem)
« on: July 11, 2004, 02:57:01 PM »
My harddrive crashed so i got a SCSI HD, put it in the PCI slot, plugged my Geforce FX 5600 into the AGP slot and reinstalled Windows XP Pro.  I updated everything, including graphics driver and directx.  But when i got to Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Geforce FX, it says it is using PCI bus rather than the AGP 8x like it used to.  I can only assume it is because I am using the SCSI as the system drive (windows installed on it), which is plugged into the PCI.  Is this just how that works? or is there something I can do?  Cause all my games keep crashing and giving bla>Ugameengine>tick.engine>AGPUpdate type of error messages.

TIA,
Mike

merlin

Re: Games keep crashing (AGP PCI problem)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 06:54:05 PM »
what is the make of your pc<ibm>

Michael Grassmyer

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 11:02:17 PM »
I pieced it together, I have an Athlon XP 2400+ on a Nforce2 intgrated GPU motherboard (not sure what the name of it is) But I bought a Geforce FX 5600 instead of the onboard geforce4 MX.  Is this the info you are asking for? I am new to the forum.  Thx for the reply!

Michael_Grassmyer

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 12:17:10 PM »
I just got this error from Americas Army:

No Label

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2115 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (5672)

General protection fault!

History: UCanvas::execDrawTextClipped <- (AGP_HUD Pipeline.AGP_HUD2 @ Function AGP.AGP_HUD.DisplayMessages : 0366) <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (AGP_HUD Pipeline.AGP_HUD2, Function AGP.AGP_HUD.PostRender_Stage2) <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

« Last Edit: July 12, 2004, 12:17:37 PM by Michael_Grassmyer »

Michael_Grassmyer

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 12:58:15 PM »
OK, this is still michael grassmyer,i just registered and changed my name.  I went to windows update and it gave me a nvidia geforce driver update.  The 5216 drivers. I had been using the 5672 drivers.  Now that Geforce FX 5600 screen in display properties says it is using AGP (PCI Mode) bus.  That looks better than the PCI only but still not the AGP 8x I want...  Would a new mainboard BIOS flash maybe fix that?

Michael_Grassmyer

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 01:58:04 PM »
OK, well i went to nvidia.com and downloaded a new version of the nforce2 mainboard drivers and its back up to AGP 8X.  YAYAYAYYAYAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!   I guess I'm talkin to myself here anyway.  Well, maybe someone with same problem will get help from this.

merlin