Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive disappearing.  (Read 2440 times)

Scr4ppy

Hard drive disappearing.
« on: September 29, 2005, 12:39:02 PM »
Hi all.  
I am new here and hope that someone can help me with this problem that has been plagueing me forever.  One of my computers always drops a hard drive.  It is on an ABIT KR7A Raid motherboard.  Now what happens  is after computer has been shut down, upon reboot the secondary slave hard drive is gone.  I have to go into the bios and redetect it, and then it will be back and working fine until the computer is shut down again.  
Now what I've done to try to fix this so far:

2 hard drives on one IDE cable.
2 CD ROM/burner on another IDE cable.

1.  Changed Ide Cable.  Works fine for about a week and then it starts dropping out again.  ???  curious.
2.  Upgraded the bios.  works fine for about a week and then starts dropping out again. ???  curious again.
3.  Installed new Via drivers.  Worked fine for about a month or so, then started dropping out again.
4.  Swapped the Hard drives and CD ROM/burner on the motherboard IDE ports.  Worked fine for a while.

Now it's to the point that even going into the bios and redetecting the hard drive doesn't bring it back.  It shows up as a Maxtor, but instead of showing the number it shows  Maxtor  DRACO.
At my wits end, I popped out the CMOS battery and it came back fine.  Then I rebooted the computer and it disappeared again without being able to fix this by going into the bios.  Anyone have ANY ideas on what this may be.  It is driving me insane.

Thanks in advance for your help.  :'( ???

Computer_Commando

Re: Hard drive disappearing.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 12:58:19 PM »
It doesn't make any sense to me, either.  I suggest you post this issue here.

Scr4ppy

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 04:35:03 PM »
Ok.  Thanks. I will try that.  Hopefully someone here might have an answer.  It's like a freaky gremilin I've never seen before.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 04:35:23 PM by Scr4ppy »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 10:09:24 PM »
    The first thing I'd do is put a new battery in it.
    Next I'd re-seat all the cables.
    Don't ask me why.  :)
    « Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 10:12:02 PM by Fed »

Scr4ppy

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 10:34:49 PM »
    I have reseated all the cables quite a few times including the power source.  Tomorrow I will buy a new battery.  If it is not that I just don't know.  

thanks.