Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with CD Drive/Game installation  (Read 2693 times)

Hudo-Kudo

Help with CD Drive/Game installation
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:40:22 PM »
This is what I posted on a site I go to, so I'm jst copying what I had. ^_^ Ok:

Yeah, so it got here today, and I was all excited. But after some suspensful installing (Lol, yeah, the PC was making some pretty odd noises! O_o And taking long on certain data, but it's just because they're large files) I finally installed all 4 CDs. When I got the message (that you get when installing all PC games with multiple disks) to put disk 1 back in, the drive wouldn't open.

You see, our first disk drive/tray had problems, it stopped reading disks, saying that there was no disk in the drive when there was. So we ordered a new one, this one, and it kinda had problems the whole time. You have to click the eject button several times and wait in between before it would open. But it never stopped reading disks. 'Till now, of course, when I get my new anticipated game.  But it worked again after that...-_-

Yeah, so I finally got it open to take out disk 4 and put disk 1 in,and I closed it, with disk 1 on the tray. It just kept saying "Insert Disk 1" after I clicked ok. It wasn't recognizing that the disk was in, and kept saying it wasn't. So I clicked cancel, and erased all I had done. -_-

I really would like to play it, and when I tried again, it wouldn't read disk 4 when I put it in druing installation and did the same thing--"Insert Disk 4" even when it was in.

Any help? I was REALLY waiting for this game to finally get here, and now it did, and it doesn't work -_- Any suggestions? (Not getting a new disk drive, because as I said, I've done that before.) A new PC is definately in order, but is there anything I can do short term? [glb]Thanks! ^_^[/glb]

((For reference- I have: Windows XP, nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 graphics card, 700 something RAM and I'm not sure of the GHZ of the processor...))

Yes...So can anyone help me? :-/

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Help with CD Drive/Game installation
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 05:59:16 PM »
Are these DVD Cds you are installing from? Do you have a DVD Reader Drive? Scanned for viruses and Spyware? Do you meet the game's requirements?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 06:28:44 PM »
You say that it has problems with reading other CD's as well? Why would this be any different?

1) Make sure the drive is installed correctly- cables, jumpers, on it's own IDE channel #2 (not sharing with a hard drive).

2) Check the manufacturer's site for any firmware updates

3) What Flame said

4) Make sure the CD's are clean.

5) Try music CD's and data CD's. Do they all have a problem?

6) What is the make and model of the drive?

Hudo-Kudo

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 06:53:44 PM »
Well, no, the drive *reads* games, but it's just you must clikc the eject button several times to make the tray come out.  :o

So, I'm pretty sure it reads other games, the first time it hasn't read a game was while doing Fable. It was the old drive that didn't read disks.

Erm, what do you mean DVD CDs? I don't know what you mean by that, they're regualr game CD ROMs. Viruses and Spyware--Lol, no, that's unlikey it's not connected to the internet. O_o

Yes, the requirements are met, they are all over what's needed, besides the graphics card, which meets it.

1) I just opened up the PC before, I made sure everything was in, but can't be sure the IDE cable isn't sharing a line....WHat does it look like? Is the ribbon leading out of the drive? Or the connector with a few different color wires in the drive?

2) Manufacturer of the drive, I suppose you mean? Ok, I guess I'll do that.

3) Ha,  :P

4) Oh trust me, they're shinin' like they're no tomorrow.  ;D

5) Yeah, I guess I should try some other CDs...but it's not like it doesn't read any disks. When I re-try installing (I've tried multpile times, to check) it won't work with random CDs. One time it doesn't read disk 4, the next time it's 3, then most recently it was disk 1. Quite odd.  ???

6) It's a MAXTOR 6L040J2. That help?

Hudo-Kudo

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 06:54:23 PM »
Oops,--*like there is no tomorrow. Yeah.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 07:21:27 PM »
The 4 wire multicolored adapter coming from the CD drive is the power adapter. The flat silver cable is the data cable. Make sure both are on snugly.

Frankly, if it has trouble getting the signal to eject the CD (or whatever it is!) that sounds electromechanical re: the drive, not the game, particularly if this happens with other CD's (or even with no CD in the drive, right?

If part of it is not functioning correctly, it would be a poor conclusion to assume that all other functions are fine.

Check out that other stuff and post back.

Hudo-Kudo

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 07:41:07 PM »
 ;) Yeah, I made sure both were in, and pushed  them too,  for kicks and giggles  :P

Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's the drive, because yes, it does it when there's not even a disk in.  :-/

So, any ideas?

(P.S., on the other site I go on, it was mentioned, though I asked it, if I should do the thing where you change the secondary and primary channels and which one the drives on. Should I do that?)

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 08:10:38 PM »
    Hudo-Kudo.......  Well , with all due respect , while I was more than amused at your abuse of the English language.....it appears that you don't have too much of a idea of what goes on inside the case of a computer .....
    perhaps you could get someone who is a bit more used to installing hardware to check out the install of the media drive you have installed .......  The issue could be the new drive itself .....especially if its a maxtor.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 12:24:06 AM »
      Test your ram.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 05:23:02 AM »
      ;) Yeah, I made sure both were in, and pushed  them too,  for kicks and giggles  :P

Yeah, I'm 99% sure it's the drive, because yes, it does it when there's not even a disk in.  :-/

So, any ideas?

(P.S., on the other site I go on, it was mentioned, though I asked it, if I should do the thing where you change the secondary and primary channels and which one the drives on. Should I do that?)

Primary channel - Hard Drives, Secondary channel CD drives. If more than one, one should be configured as master, the other slave (on each channel).

What is the other forum you attend?