Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How should I promote my website ?  (Read 3298 times)

Dave236

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    How should I promote my website ?
    « on: September 07, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »
    Hi I linked through to this site from Google. I just want to say this is a fabulous write up http://www.computerhope.com/promote.htm#03 and also to clarify a few things.

I will soon be setting up a commercial website and want to have a blog to promote my website. The blog would probably be mainly factual focusing on the goodness of e-commerce products that I sold and link to other factual blogs and sites which showed I new what I was talking about. Also I wanted to link to my main website too from there. I have read that it is a bad idea to use the same sub-domains for your blog that you already use for your website. Apparently Google when it comes to search engine optimisation rates other blogs from another new domain as of more value. So you could say in order to promote your self using a new domain name from somewhere else. So probably another provider my be best for a blog. Although if I bought multiple domains from the same host would this be okay with the Google web spiders.

Thanks all much appreciated ! And links you know of would be useful.

It would be especially nice to hear the opinion of the publisher of the above link if you read this.

truenorth

Guru

Re: How should I promote my website ?
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
      Of course there undoubtedly are CH members that have and are pursuing these  same objectives.However as i am sure you can appreciate a great many factors will have to be considered in order to try and achieve appropriate maximum exposure. In that regard as you link to a site which points out the value of Google rankings as part of the method i too shall link to a general search on Google to the myriad of possible solutions/suggestions to achieving your goals. Hopefully you find find some valuable kennels of wisdom therein.
      http://www.google.ca/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=how+to+optimize+your+exposure+on+your+web+site?&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest#hl=en&client=opera&hs=qcN&rls=en&channel=suggest&sa=X&ei=5SRKUIv9KsqyqgHTyoHIBg&ved=0CB0QBSgA&q=how+to+optimize+your+exposure+on+your+website%3F&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=503f64ad5d786dbd&biw=1366&bih=645

Good=luck,truenorth

Dave236

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
        Hi as I say have looked around the web quite a bit so was wondering if anyone had answers more specifically to the domain issues of SEO that I talked about above?

Many thanks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
        Google pagerank works by seeing how many other sites link to you; and their pagerank effects how much influence that incoming link has on your site's pagerank.

Subdomains are treated the same as subfolders- that is www.example.com/blog and blog.example.com get the same treatment.

In your case, creating a new domain to "promote" your site won't work. Google sees through it. For example if you have "funtimesoftware.com" and you wanted to promote it with a blog, you might make "ftsblog.com" but the thing is no matter now many links you put in the latter to the former or vice versa, it is the pagerank of those pages that matter. Basically, in order to get your pagerank up, you need actual, quality websites to link to it.

One of the most common ways to do this is to simply put your site in your signature on popular forums. In some capacity, this also encourages participation in that community; for example, if I put a link in my signature it will appear tens of thousands of times all over Computerhope, which has a rather large pagerank for search queries that are related to the content of my own site.

Spammers will often try this as well, by putting links to their site in their signatures or posts. However, since they do not truly contribute to the community and typically aim for the best return on their time investment in the manner of promoting their site as opposed to actually being there to contribute, they usually don't last long and are usually deleted right away.

I think the best way is to simply have quality content, though. Google rates the page as much on the quality of content as it does on incoming links, and as people find your pages, they might link to them on their own sites, or on other forums. For example, some of my own Blog posts have been featured or linked other sites, or linked by forum posters; the pagerank of those sites then influences mine in a positive way.

Essentially, the entire pagerank system is designed so that you cannot do exactly what you want to do. You have to make good quality content- there simply aren't any shortcuts. The system is designed to prevent being gamed, which is actually part of why Google became so popular to begin with, since earlier search engines were easier to manipulate into thinking your content was relevant.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dave236

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
          High thanks very much indeed for that. I have been looking to try and work out the very things you brought up so thank you so much.

Would you say in your opinion a blog is always needed ? Or would a website with quality content and long tail keywords for e-commerce be the best way  forward initially and blogging eventually ?

I ask again simply because you addressed a lot of the thoughts I had been having before which I really appreciated. Thank you !