Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random Computer Lock Up  (Read 3415 times)

aReLBee

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Random Computer Lock Up
    « on: September 08, 2012, 03:47:55 PM »
    Hello everyone.  I am an experienced computer builder.  I have one that has been my own personal PC for 3-4 years now.  Ever since building it, I have had intermittent lock-ups of the entire system.  Whatever screen it is on last when it decides to lock up is what I see upon walking in the room.  It never does it while I am working on it.  This always requires a press-hold/power-off system to recover from it.

At first, I thought it must be a hardware conflict.  However, I have replaced the video card, motherboard, power supply, memory, and tv tuner card since first building it.  The only remaining piece of hardware from the initial build is the sound card and the case.  Sure, the sound card could cause it but I would think that happen as a conflict with the first motherboard or memory and that it would go away when those items were replaced with new ones.

Is there a log or other way to find out what is causing the lock up?  I am not really familiar with Windows logs and didn't know if they would register failures like this.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Veltas

Intermediate

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Random Computer Lock Up
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
    Have you tried disabling the sound card?  Then you can rule it out...

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
    Good evening aReLBee and welcome to CH

What is your OS (operating system) XP or Vista or Windows 7 and what Bit version 32 or 64 bit.

In the device manager is there any yellow or red icons?

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

aReLBee

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 05:03:28 PM »
      Mike,

Thank you for your reply.  I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.  There are no yellow or red indicators on the Device Manager.

Veltas,

I will try that.  Thanks.

Rich

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
      ... I have replaced the video card, motherboard, power supply, memory, and tv tuner card since first building it.  The only remaining piece of hardware from the initial build is the sound card and the case....
      Same CPU & CPU cooler?
      Have you reapplied thermal paste?
      Have you monitored CPU temps?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 07:38:50 PM »
      Good evening aReLBee and welcome back

A couple of things

#1... Did you have any luck removing / disabling the sound card to see if the issue is gone like "Veltas" asked

#2... "Computer_Commando" had a good point did you re-paste or replaced the CPU heat sink / fan? and how are the temps on it?

#3... When you first set up the PC installed MSE then later on you replaced the MoBo etc did you do a fresh install of MCE?

Hope to hear from you soon, Mike 

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 10:45:56 PM »
      Have you tried basic testing the hard drive and memory by running a diagnostic test before any replacements made?