Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failing to Recognize Video Card  (Read 5549 times)

Reaper19

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Failing to Recognize Video Card
    « on: September 08, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »
    I recently bought a new computer off of new egg and there seems to be some issue with it.  I am not sure whether it is the video card or power supply, or some other issue I have not considered.  Below are my computer specs and what I have tried thus far to remedy the problem.  Any advice or suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated.

General Spec
    Brand:
    • CyberpowerPC
    Model:
    • Gamer FTW 2001LQ
    Type:
    • Gaming
    Processor:
    • Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4Ghz
      Processor Main Features
      64 bit Quad-Core Processor
      Cache Per Processor
      6MB L3 Cache
    Memory:
    • 16GB DDR3 1333
    Hard Drive:
    • 2TB SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s 7200RPM
    Optical Drive 1:
    • Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive
    Graphics:
    • AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB PCI-e Graphics
    Ethernet:
    • Gigabit Ethernet
    Power Supply:
    • 800W
    Operating System:
    • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    Special Features:
    • Thermaltake Level 10 GTS (White) Gaming Case
      120mm Liquid Cooling System

Motherboard:
    • Chipset
      Intel Z77

CPU:
    • CPU Type
      Intel Core i5
      CPU Speed
      3570k(3.40GHz)
      L3 Cache Per CPU
      6MB
      CPU Socket Type
      LGA 1155
      CPU Main Features
      64 bit Quad-Core Processor
    Graphics:
    • GPU/VPU Type
      AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB PCI-e Graphics

Memory:
    • Memory Capacity
      16GB DDR3
      Memory Speed
      DDR3 1333
      Memory Spec
      4GB x 4
      Memory Slot (Total)
      Maximum Memory Supported
      32GB

Hard Drive:
    • HDD Capacity
      2TB
      HDD Interface
      SATA III
      HDD RPM
      7200rpm

Optical Drive:
    • Optical Drive Type
      BD Combo
      Optical Drive Spec
      Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive

Audio:
    • Audio Channels
      7.1 Ch Audio

Communications:
    • LAN Chipset
      Integrated
      LAN Speed
      10/100/1000Mbps
    Front Panel Ports:
    • Front USB
      2 x USB 2.0
      2 x USB 3.0

Back Panel Ports:
    • PS/2
      Video Ports
      1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 2 Display Port
      Rear USB
      4 x USB 2.0
      2 x USB 3.0

Expansion:
    • PCI Slots (Available/Total)
      2 x PCI-e x16 (1 Available)
      2 x PCI-e x1 (Available)
      2 x PCI (Available)

When I first got the computer I attached my 24" Dell monitor directly to the video card HDMI slot.  The BIOS screen appeared as well as the prompt to install windows 7 from drive.  However there were lines that randomly appeared on the screen in different locations at different instances.  Therefor, I changed the monitor over to directly plugging it into the motherboard HDMI slot and using the integrated graphics card.  This appeared perfectly.  I installed windows 7 and set up the basics using the integrated card and installed drivers for my 7970 thinking that that may have been the issue.  Well, that did nothing to fix it and it still refused to use the HDMI output on the V Card.  90% of the time, the monitor would remain black and occasionally it would show up with lines on the screen.  But it never made it to my desktop only to BIOS.  I then entered BIOS and set it to boot using the 7970 and disabled the integrated card.  This did nothing to solve the problem either.  I have opened up the computer, tried different slots, removed it and re-inserted it several times and nothing seems to work.  I know it is getting power because the fan on the 7970 spins.  Any advice or experience regarding this issue would, again, be appreciated.

Things I have Tried:
    • Updating Drivers
      Different PCI Slots
      Disabling Integrated Graphics and Enabling PCI Graphics on BIOS

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Failing to Recognize Video Card
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
    Good morning Reaper19 and welcome to CH

When you go to start the PC open the side panel and look at the LED on the board it will give you a code and look in your manual it should tell what the possible issue is.

But I would not mess to much if it is new and under warrantee you may void it, Mike   
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Reaper19

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
      I am getting a b2 error which refers to a Legacy Option Rom Initialization error.  Now, I am not sure exactly what this means.  I have tried going into BIOs and disabling Legacy Rom, but that did not do anything either.  I understand that with the B2 error, it can be just about anything.  But since I can use the computer normally and everything is checking out when I remove my 7970, it makes me want to think it is that.  But, I do not know much about this.  Thoughts?

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
      Good evening Reaper19 and welcome back

Well depending on who made that MoBo it maybe video issue either onboard GVA chip or as you found out the add-on Video card.

I would be calling them up. Who ever you bought it from and do a RMA for another video card. The error you are getting "Legacy Option Rom Initialization error" makes since that you can use the PC with out the video card.

If you look at part of the error you got "Rom" that means "Read only memory" the add-on video card has memory kind of like your MoBo has but the difference for the memory on the MoBo is "Ram" which is "Random access memory" this can read and write temporarily. But in some ways yes they both do the same thing and you would be right yes they do. But the video card memory only lets the info pass through and can not write, if I am making any since I hope ;D ;D

When you contact the vendor for the video card replacement I would ask them if your card can use HDMI as the default cable connection for your display although it should be able too but maybe you can use it but only as the second display and not as primary connection.

Hope this help you, Mike

PS please let us know how you make out.   
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Reaper19

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
        Most stores are closed today since it is Sunday, but I am going to go out and grab a DVI cable and try that out.  After a quick google search, it seems similar problems were experienced when they tried using only an HDMI connection.  Hopefully, this fixes it.  I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of RMAing it.

Thank you very much for all the help thus far, you have saved me a ton of time and effort.  I'll post again after getting the new DVI cable, hopefully while using my 7970!

Reaper19

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »
          Sorry for taking so long to respond.  After running some more tests and eventually trying to use the Card in another system, I found out it is definitely the card.  I called the company and they are sending me a new one.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Reaper19