Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Hard Drive Bad??  (Read 2733 times)

Tammy Zahradka

Computer Hard Drive Bad??
« on: September 29, 2005, 06:26:21 PM »
After my computer has been on a while the moniter gets the wavy lines and I can not do anything. I have tried reformating...but did not work???  Is this a bad hard drive?

GX1_Man

Re: Computer Hard Drive Bad??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 06:33:45 PM »
If it is a monitor problem, I would start by checking the monitor (hook it to another computer) and then check the video adapter (hook another monitor to it). Do either of these point to one or the other as the bad component?  ???

Are the video drivers correct for the adapter? By the way what kind of adapter, monitor and computer is it? (Info helps get appropriate responses.) :o

A hard drive is the last place I would look for a solution.
::)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 06:34:22 PM by GX1_Man »

Tammy Zahradka

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 06:41:17 PM »
It is a Dell,  with a pentium 4 cpu 1500mhz.. I am not sure about the moniter it is a dell as well the one that came with it, and I have tried changing moniters..

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 06:46:28 PM »
So what is the make and model number of the computer and monitor. (You can find that on the cases!)

Have you changed any settings?

You said you tried changing monitors.....and.......what happened?

The monitor you had worked fine with another computer, or another monitor worked fine on this computer, or what?

We're getting closer.....   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Tammy Zahradka

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 06:58:09 PM »
Sorry I am new at this...

I changed moniters on the computer I am having problems with and the same problem happened.

I then put the moniter from the bad computer on a good computer and the moniter worked fine.

The thing is if I leave the computer shut down for  a week or so, it will start up just fine....then after a day of playing around on it off and on it starts the funny lines again.  Then will not start up normal again.

I have not changed any settings that I am aware of.

The model number for the moniter is M991...

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 07:14:09 PM »
So it is a problem with the graphics adapter (most like) on the bad computer. What is the model number (such as Dimension 4200, etc.) so we can see what is in there? Can you go to Settings/Control Panel / System and double click the "display adapter" button and tell us what it says?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 07:14:23 PM »
    Tammy Zahradka......  Try uninstalling your vid card and then reinstalling it ..and see how things are .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 12:13:59 AM »