Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Connecting tv to laptop.  (Read 16030 times)

Connor S

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Connecting tv to laptop.
    « on: September 12, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »
    Wonder if you could help.

I just bought a tv and can't seem to get it to work as an external monitor. When I connect both with a hdmi cable my tv doesn't respond and my laptop cannot pick it up.

On my other tv, (slightly older) it works fine and auto detects and displays the laptops screen on the television.

When I try to detect the monitor a blank monitor appears saying "Another display not detected" and when clicked it states "Available display output on ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series". On the multiple display drop down menu it suggests "no display connected; or try anyways with on: VGA". which I still cant get to work.

My Tv- http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/5299397/reviews.htm
    (supports 1366x768 which my laptop it set up too)

(The tv has yet to be tuned to any channels theres a problem with my aerial and I was hoping to use my laptop to watch movies for the time being - this shouldn't affect it should it?)

Help?

I have tried with 2 hdmi cables.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Connecting tv to laptop.
      « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »
      "- this shouldn't affect it should it?" No this is not a factor in your issue.However factors that can influence your ability to use the TV as an external monitor are compatibility with connections on the 2 units. Which given both have HDMI should not be a factor. Video selection source chosen on the TV. Presumably because you have an HDMI input on the TV then that is what you should be selecting as that is what you are using. Is that what you have selected? I would also suggest trying a lower resolution on your laptop to determine if you can produce a viable picture on the TV.You don't mention the O/S on the laptop however an out of left field factor that can cause a non video result in win 7 is if the laptop has been set to "computer only" , This selection in win 7 is achieved by depressing together the windows key and "P" and selecting the desired option.truenorth

Connor S

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
        Thanks,

I am on windows 7. I have tried all of those options.

My tv connects to other things via HDMI just not either of my laptops (the other laptop is vista but I dont use it)

Could it be anything else? maybe see if I can update my drivers on the graphics card above? Is there any other ways to get hd without a hdmi cable?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
        HDMI is required for HD...

What laptop is this exactly ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Connor S

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
          hp g62 notebook pc

e-gadget-guy

• Yes
            • Ken's Av
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
          Thanks,

I am on windows 7. I have tried all of those options.

My tv connects to other things via HDMI just not either of my laptops (the other laptop is vista but I dont use it)

Could it be anything else? maybe see if I can update my drivers on the graphics card above? Is there any other ways to get hd without a hdmi cable?

If both the laptop and TV have an HD15 [VGA] connector you can achieve "HD" resolutions over that connection. Also, other "HD" capable connections include Component [RGB] and HDSDI.
          Computers are?