Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Tower turns on but nothing else does  (Read 4092 times)

8enjamin

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Tower turns on but nothing else does
    « on: September 13, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »
    Ok so I've had this problem three or four times before and I usually fix it by resetting the BIOS but this time it's just not working I reset it then turn the computer back on and the same thing happens the tower powers on and the fans start working and everything but still no power or image on the screen and no power to the keyboard or mouse. For about 1 second after I turn the computer on the lights on the keyboard light up but then they turn off. I asked around and someone said replace your PSU so I did that but now I still have the same problem! Is there anyone out there who can help.

Regards, Ben.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Tower turns on but nothing else does
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
    Welcome to CH 8enjamine. Please post as much information, specs., model, error messages and issues prior and going to the problem. Do you hear any beeps when powering up or have you tried removing your memory sticks, hard drive, dedicated cards and using only the motherboard, PSU and monitor together?

8enjamin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:05 PM »
      ok, well i was just on my computer then i went to move the tower to unplug my moue to change to a different one and when i moved the tower. my computer froze, i then turned it off and when i went to turn it back on the problem arose, i went to turn it back on and only the tower powered on. all fans are running so doesn't seem to be a problem there. here are the specs of the computer:
      Graphics card: ASUS 9800GTX
      Unsure of my processor but i know its intel
      Powersupply prior to incident was a Codegen 825W ATX 12W
      Power supply now is a Corsair GS 700 V2
      RAM: CORSAIR CM2x1024 DDR2
      MOBO: ASUS P5KPL-CM
      do not hear any beeps when powering up and havn't tried powering on without graphics card or RAM yet will give that a shot.

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:28:36 AM »
      Check the cable connections and make sure they are fully plugged in. You mentioned it freezing when you moved it. You could also try reseating your graphics card.
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

8enjamin

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:10:29 AM »
        ive tried all the obvious things like that 500 times is there anything else that might be wrong?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
        Use the onboard video with PSU and monitor plugged-in only to check on the difference.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:44:36 AM »
        ive tried all the obvious things like that 500 times is there anything else that might be wrong?

We don't know what is "obvious" to you and what isn't.
        The key indicator of the likely cause is that it happened when you moved the system.
        You might have jogged something loose. RAM. CPU. Display card. Power connectors.
        If you didn't do it gently, you might even have cracked the motherboard.