Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: two problems - media player and internet connectivity  (Read 3955 times)

vpz3s

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    two problems - media player and internet connectivity
    « on: September 13, 2012, 11:11:27 PM »
    Problem 1: I inherited a Dell D520 Latitude running on Windows XP with Starter Pack 3. Windows Media Player will not work; the error message says I'm not online. The problem is that I am and I know for a fact that I am because of what I have to go through to get it online (problem 2). In order to get online, I have to click Start, Run, enter "%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s", OK, Wired AutoConfig, Starter Type: Automatic, Start, OK. Then I click Start again, Run, enter "ncpa.cpl", OK, Wireless Area Connection, Change settings of this connection, Wireless Networks, Use Windows to reconfigure... and OK. Please don't let that sequence confuse you into thinking I know the first thing about computers; that is just something I learned out of necessity. How do I a) get Windows Media Player to recognize a pre-established, existing internet connection and b) get my system to remember and automatically connect to my modem? If it helps, I use a mobile hot spot from Clear and I am NOT required to enter the password again. Thanks to anyone who can provide any assistance and know that I envy your mad computin' skillz! LOL :)

nachobear

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: two problems - media player and internet connectivity
      « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 01:25:23 AM »
      since you inherited a computer why not do a system recovery or try a system restore, a recovery will give you a fresh start, if its an hp (which it is not, but could have the option maybe) it can do a non destructive system recovery which means the main files you have won't be deleted like favorites and typing docs but cookies and internet history will be gone and so on, you could also try to install an older version of WMP, wish i could give you a true answer to your problems

vpz3s

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
        Aaaannnnd how exactly would I do that? O.O

nachobear

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
          to do a system restore you would need to go to accessories and system tools and select a date to go back to but i prefer a system recovery I think that option would be in the system tools option or you can just do a search, search for recovery to make a recovery cd, unless dell has a self system recovery option like hp just look at the screen when you tun on the computer does it say f11 system recovery or check to see in your my computers if your computer has a D drive if it does it has some kind of ssytem recovery

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:38:37 PM »
          Any wireless access point could always be configured to automatically connect when the network is in range. The network profile for the previous accessed network is saved by your network explorer properties, tab.There is a checkmark option for that option. What particular modem hotspot is it? I don't use WMP primarily for any entertainment or online media access, but there might be a setting also to enable or run. Usually if the computer was able to connect successfully then WMP will follow. Found this one also http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#wmp9