Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mapping drives on multiple user computers using windows 7  (Read 4395 times)

sir2u

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Mapping drives on multiple user computers using windows 7
    « on: September 15, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
    Hi, just found this place and I am hoping someone will be able to help.

I need to setup a mapped drive on 36 computers connected on a single network in a schools computer lab. Each machine will have up to 20 students as users. The drive will be on the teachers computer and used for picking up assignments from the students.

I have tried several methods and they all have given problems. Either the drives don't map for some users will map only after restarting.

Is there a simple way that does not need me to create script for every one of the machines?

Looking forward to hearing from the experts.

Thanks in advance.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Mapping drives on multiple user computers using windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »
    Good evening sir2u and welcome to CH

I do not know if the class room is it a small work group set up or are they logging into the school domain?

If it is going to be set up in a OU that all PC's will use this will help you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231287 if this is not for a OU and it is a work group set set that can be done with a simple script.

Hope this helps, Mike

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

sir2u

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Mapping drives on multiple user computers using windows 7
      « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »
      Hello hartbeatmr,

Thank you for your reply.

The way the lab is setup right now is basically 40 machines connected to a single router through 3 hubs. We are planning on making major changes in the whole system at the end of the year but right now we just need to get by without to much fuss and sweat. There is no server or domain. The windows network setting is set to Workplace. The biggest problem is when the students get into the networks they do stupid things like "losing" assignment.

The simplest solution I have found so far is to put shortcuts to the target drive folders into each machines public documents folder. At least they can't say that they can't find the place until someone deletes the shortcut for fun.

Mapping the drives would at least ensure that the next user had the drive available even if the previous user disconnected it. At least that is the theory behind Mapped drives.

I have done a lot of searching to try to solve this problem but without luck so far.

Thanks again for your attention