Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "The RPC Server is unavailable"  (Read 17295 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    "The RPC Server is unavailable"
    « on: September 16, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
    Alright, so my Mom has a COMPAQ laptop that she uses for her normal stuff, checking email, weather, solitaire, the little things. But my nephew and nieces often come over and use it.

Well, she tried to sign herself in (Her account is password protected) and what'll happen is she'll type it correctly, it'll say Welcome, and then a few seconds later say "The RPC Server is unavailable", shortly after it will actually reboot her system and bring her back to the sign in stage.

Shes running Windows 7 Home Premium. Does anyone know a fix for this problem?
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: "The RPC Server is unavailable"
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
    Have you never heard of Google?
    Google "rpc server is unavailable windows 7"

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 10:36:16 AM »
      I appreciate the sleezy, in-considerate response. Because you know, everybody who logs onto a help forum looking for help knows what to do exactly, and has the knowledge to navigate a computer as much as you do. I'm also sure they want your attitude when replying.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
      Well, I did a Google search, and I can't say that anything exactly leaped out of the screen at me. After a bit of sifting through results to do with networking, I found these steps:

Step 1: To start the RPC service, try these steps.

a. Start the computer using Windows DVD to boot to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and select command prompt.

b. Type net start RpcSs and hit enter.

c. Type exit to close the command prompt.

d. Restart the computer and check the result.

Step 2: Check the registry entry for the service

a. Start the computer using Windows DVD to boot to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and select command prompt.

b. On the command prompt, type regedit.exe and hit enter.

c. Look for the following entries:

d. Entry for Remote Procedure Call (RPC): Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcSs

e. Entry for Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RpcLocator

Important: Set REG_DWORD value to 2 for automatic start on RpcSs Set REG_DWORD value to 3 for manual start on RPCLocator

Very important: Modifying the registry incorrectly will cause serious damage to the computer. Backup the registry before you make any changes.

I appreciate this type of thing may not be something that a non-techie type of person would feel like trying, and I would think that a visit to a computer repair place could be the safest solution. if your mother has files she wants to keep, make sure they try the above first and don't just reinstall Windows.

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
        We might have to, because I dont think we even have the Windows disc anymore.

And we dont.
        « Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:39:43 PM by WillNeedsHelpFast »