Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet 'choking' intermittently..  (Read 3908 times)

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

internet 'choking' intermittently..
    « on: October 14, 2012, 04:38:55 AM »
    Hello everyone,

I am connected to a wireless network with approx 90 MB speed. The problem with my connection is that it is 'stuttering' and its speed is unstable.

For example, Internet download manager is known for its super fast downloading when it opens up its channels and starts downloading; on my end, however, IDM tries to maximize its downloading speed but it never manages to maintain it. In other words, a download would start at 70 KB/s then jumps 'briefly' to 120 KB/s and then returns to 70 KB/s again and up to 120 again..etc. I have tested a download from softpedia so this means it is not a 'host' bandwidth limit.

What made me also sure that a problem does exist is Teknogods MW3 PC game. If I browse for a server(any server), its ping would appear as 75 at first but when I click refresh, the same server's ping would jump to 300 even though I have nothing eating my bandwidth in the background. Also, If I join any server, the game-play is 'always' choppy and lagging because of the connection's inability to update as fast as it should be.

I have tried turning off windows firewall but it did not work and I have no anti-virus or firewall progs running in the background. I also a wireless mouse that I disconnected but it did not actually help. What could be the cause of this and how can I check if there is something that is limiting my bandwidth?

P.S: I am connecting through a hotel's wireless network so any suggesstions about accessing their routers is impossible :)

System Specs:

- Brand: Casper notebook

- Intel Core i5-3210M CPU 2.50GH
    - Memory 8GB RAM
    - Nvidia Geforce GT630 620MB up to 1 GB
    - Realtel RTL8188CE wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
    - Realtek High Definition Audio
    - Win 7 Home Basic 64-bit

Salmon Trout

Re: internet 'choking' intermittently..
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »
    If you are connecting through a hotel's wireless network, you are sharing the hotel's connection bandwidth with every other connected user in the hotel. I am not surprised that you get variable speeds. Do you live in the hotel?

Gilgamesh21

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: internet 'choking' intermittently..
      « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »
      If you are connecting through a hotel's wireless network, you are sharing the hotel's connection bandwidth with every other connected user in the hotel. I am not surprised that you get variable speeds. Do you live in the hotel?

Yes, I do live in the hotel for the time being but even if there are other people using the bandwidth, the 'choking'would not be so systematic because I spend most of the time in the hotel room and it is unlikely that other residents are using the bandwidth 'all' the time. Maybe you are right though, this could be the issue. I am only asking just to check if there is a way to examine or test if it was maybe a hardware issue or something. :)