Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: invisible game folder  (Read 4099 times)

wiley15

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    invisible game folder
    « on: September 30, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
    I have been having an issue for about 3 wks now.   i had some sort of spyware which took everything off of my desktop except background...i ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and found nothing.  I decided to do a clean install of windows 7 pro and reinstalled my game.   i tried to run it and  it came up with game is not fully installed(which it was).  I uninstalled game and reinstalled and same thing..did a clean install again with windows and same thing.   Decided to check c drive to go into folder to check some things and no folder found...did a search for game and it was not on computer but icon was.   uninstalled game reinstalled game and same thing...decided to create a game folder with all files from disk and put in hd and it wanted to copy over the old folder  that was not there...so i did a check and found out that windows put it as a hidden folder(odd for a game folder)i got the folder to show but it is showing invisible which will not let me play the game...never had this issue before until that spyware(virus)happened.  The game is Nascar Racing 2003 Season(which is not made anylonger) I contacted Microsoft because i thought it would be a windows issue, and they did some checking and found a bunch of errors on my computer which they could fix for like $300(wow)  I thought that a fresh install would fix anything like that but i guess it did not...just need a way to check the errors and a way to fix them.  I would really appreciate the help....i do work on computers on the side and never seen this before...i would also like for my game folder to be visible again lol

I have Windows 7 pro
    2tb hd
    no brand computer i built it
    8gigs ram
     If you need anymore info on computer let me know

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: invisible game folder
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:36:34 AM »
    Your only hope is to DLoad and install XP compatibility Mode from MS and re-install the game...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wiley15

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
      Your only hope is to DLoad and install XP compatibility Mode from MS and re-install the game...
      ok, i will try that thanx for the response.  the problem is though when i first built this system and installed windows 7pro the game worked perfectly until this  issue happened a few weeks ago and now no matter what it does this...

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
      Hmmm...
      Only thing i can think then is the CD itself has degraded over time...
      Sometimes burning a fresh copy on another burner/system will fix this...but no guarantees on that as it may have copyright protection.

wiley15

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
        i actually tried that with the game and the same thing...windows should not make the folder invisible it is a game folder that is what has confused me

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »
        Are you logged on as Admin ?

wiley15

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »
          yes i am the only one that uses this computer

wiley15

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
            i found out by talking to microsoft that there are errors that were done by a hacker and i need to remove the hackers footprint how do i fix the errors in my event viewer and then remove the hackers footprint?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 12:08:10 PM »
            Not at all sure how MS came to that conclusion...sounds like someone who just wants your money...i'd be wary.
            If i were you i'd do another clean install of 7 as it sounds like your infected again.

When you run setup this time delete the C: partition and then have Setup re-create it for you...this will take a little longer than just a re-install but it's the proper way to do it.

P.S. Just for my edification post both the phone# contact info you used for MS and the site they used...

wiley15

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 12:24:41 PM »
              actually i did an online chat where they took over my computer and opened my eventl logs and it shows tons of errors

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »
              There are scammers who contact you by phone out of Indian call centers. They say they are from the "Microsoft Security Center" and they believe your computer might be hacked. To make you believe this they ask you to open your Event Log. (Everybody's Event Log contains many errors. It's normal.) Then they ask for a sum around $300 to clean up your PC. I do not believe it could be  Microsoft he called.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 10:14:44 PM »
              Exactly.

And if they did remote access then as far as i'm concerned it'd be crazy to not do a wipe and clean install...

wiley where is the contact info i requested ? ?