Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: over heating?  (Read 3488 times)

Pogi

Topic Starter

Rookie

over heating?
    « on: October 01, 2012, 12:51:32 AM »
    been having this problem all day and its driving me nuts!

i cannot pin point what is wrong, but i'm suspecting something in my system is over heating. it only does it when i put my pc under load, like when i'm playing counter strike GO or rendering a video on sony vegas. i can do these things for a little over 5 minutes before everything just shuts down without warning, no bsod or errors. otherwise, everything runs fine just doing basic stuff like the web and watching videos. i checked the thermal paste for my cpu, it was pretty dry, but even after i put a new blob on its still shuts off. i also went ahead and cleared dust. thought it was my video cards, but the gpu temps aren't under stress. however, the weird thing is when i played games or tried to render a video, the fans on my cards don't work as hard as they usually do. i tried speeding them up 100% with NVIDIA's control panel, speed fan, and evga's precision x on different occasions, but they get no where near it. it sounds like i can only get them to 30-50% max. my cards are usually pretty loud when i play or render but they dont even sound like they change fan speeds anymore. its the same for both of my cards, not just 1.

here is a screen shot of speedfan while i was trying to render a video for about 1 minute. im not too familiar with it but obviously something is getting hot. 

main specs:

msi nf750-g55 mobo

2x evga gts 450 configured for SLI

AMD phenom II X4 955

4gb ram

i don't over clock anything. its all default. 

truenorth

Guru

Re: over heating?
      « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »
      Sounds like the sensors for the regulation of your fans (based on temperatures) has failed.truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »
      Speedfan is unreliable, try HWInfo.
      http://www.hwinfo.com/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
      Speedfan is unreliable

Speedfan works fine for me on 3 Shuttles: an ST62K (3 GHz P4 Prescott core, a notoriously hot running CPU), an SN78SH7 (3 GHz AMD Phenom II) and an SZ68R5 (3.4 Ghz i7 2600k). The ST62K has been running as a home server since November 2004, approx 18 hours a day approx 350 days a year. The SN78SH7 has been running approx 18 hrs a day for 30 months, and the i7 machine is looking good still after 6 months. I know of another 6 machines owned by other people who have reported no problems.

Pogi

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 12:41:10 AM »
        I took out my cards, booted fine, tried to render a video again, lasted the same amount of time and shut down itself again. I tried reseating the CPU, but after I reseated it doesn't even start now. Looks like it's gonna boot, then like 5 seconds into it is when it shuts down. Safe to say to get a replacement CPU? my current CPU  a 4 core, a 6 core is about the same price. If I stuck the 6 core in, would it work fine?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:29:24 AM »
        Did you apply thermal paste correctly ? ?

Thermal Paste Guide

Before ditching the CPU it may be worth it to invest in a CPU fan. I jave seen where although they spin they are not cooling properly.
        I would also turn off all fan controls and/or set them to auto to see if that helps.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
          I would like to bring the discussion back to the original post of the O/P. " my cards are usually pretty loud when i play or render but they dont even sound like they change fan speeds anymore. its the same for both of my cards, not just 1."Operations of fan(s) has obviously changed. We don't know why.truenorth

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
          Speedfan works fine for me on 3 Shuttles: an ST62K (3 GHz P4 Prescott core, a notoriously hot running CPU), an SN78SH7 (3 GHz AMD Phenom II) and an SZ68R5 (3.4 Ghz i7 2600k). The ST62K has been running as a home server since November 2004, approx 18 hours a day approx 350 days a year. The SN78SH7 has been running approx 18 hrs a day for 30 months, and the i7 machine is looking good still after 6 months. I know of another 6 machines owned by other people who have reported no problems.

I forgot to mention my wife's laptop (Dell D830; 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo) which has been running Speedfan since Nov 2009 about 4 hours most weekdays. It occurs to me that maybe you meant "unreliable" as in not reprting temps/fan speeds correctly. For each of these machines I have settled on Speedfan because I liked its user interface, only after trying out other software (HWinfo, and AMD Core Temp for the AMD machines as well) and in each case the temps & speeds agreed with Speedfan. Of course I cannot speak for hardware not tried by me or people I know.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
          I too do comparitives on my PC's operating temps...
          Speedfan
          SIW
          HWInfo.

I've also never seen much variation between those apps and what the BIOS reports as well...
          The only aggravating thing is not all temp sensors manufactured work on the very apps that were written to make them useful.
          This is a standard that should have been paid attention to thru the years...both on the hardware and software ends.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
          HWinfo is unique in the fact that the author provides virtually real-time support for his free product.  When I found a bug, he had it corrected almost immediately.  He has his own forum which he monitors constantly.
          http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/index.php