Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Walk Me Through Video Card Install  (Read 2895 times)

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • My pal Sharky
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Walk Me Through Video Card Install
    « on: September 30, 2012, 05:16:53 PM »
    I have a Systemax SYX Venture VXC2 Tower PC, two years old, with
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
    Asus P5KPL-CM mATX Motherboard
    4GB DDR2 800MHz PC6400 Memory
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Gaming interest has led me to buy an EVGA GeForce GT520, 1024MB DDR3 Video Board

As a retired PEng, I am fully experienced with mounting the board, and connecting to my Samsung SyncMaster P2450 Flat Screen.

Would some one care to walk me through start up?  EVGA instructions pretty clear as to loading new driver and set up.  My concern is their sentence... "Before installing our driver, please make sure you have uninstalled prior display drivers from the Windows Control Panel, and have disabled any integrated graphics adapters in the Device Manager if necessary".  Bold type is my addition.

Is it possible uninstalling and disabling manually may not be necessary with Windows 7?
    « Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:27:28 PM by schuarta »

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Walk Me Through Video Card Install
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
    Unless you had a graphics card installed previously and upgraded to this one, you will be fine. The BIOS will disable the onboard card when a dedicated card is detected.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
    If you have installed a previous graphics card, make sure you have removed the driver via Add or Remove panel or the uninstall method. If your just using the onboard graphics for the desktop, just go straight to inserting the card to your PCI slot, boot to windows and install the CD or online drivers. Some motherboards disables the onboard GPU as some would require to disable on BIOS setup. Go to your BIOS so you would see if which one is enabled.

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • My pal Sharky
      « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
      Thank you gentlemen!  That is what I wanted to hear.  I'll post once more after I do it and let you know the results.  :) :D ;D

schuarta

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • My pal Sharky
        « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:24:50 PM »
        Turned off PC and flat screen, opened pc side panel, cleaned off the dust, mounted video board, added screw which holds card in place, changed analog cable pc to flat screen, to digital cable from new video card to flat screen, replaced pc side.

Turned on flat screen, turned on pc, booted up to desk top (a little grotesque in size and icons).  PC searched for driver, I stopped the search, loaded GeForce disc, loaded driver software clicking a few prompts, restarted computer when asked, project completed.  Samsung SyncMaster screen auto changed to digital mode.  All screen info sharp and clear.  WOW game graphics beautiful.  Thanks for your help.  So much easier than I though it would be.  :D  ;D  ;)

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:59:09 PM »
        That's great to know!
        Thanks for coming back and sharing your results :)