Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help loading Windows using DOS prompt  (Read 2319 times)

A.H. Davenport

Help loading Windows using DOS prompt
« on: October 01, 2005, 01:52:47 AM »
My secondary system is still running on Win95.  Yesterday at startup, it said to insert a bootable media in the appropriate drive.  I did that, using my up-to-date 95/98 system startup disk.  At A:/ prompt, I changed to C: drive, but got the message to insert disk 2 into cd-rom drive.  (The Command.exe works fine because I succeeded in doing a scandisk /all /surface scan with no errors or corrrupt files found.)  When I typed in sys c: and sys.com, I got back a message to insert disk 2 into drive A:/.
Problem:  My system came pre-installed with Win95----so, are there any other
DOS commands that will restore windows to desktop?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Help loading Windows using DOS
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 03:06:00 AM »
Well A.H. it looks like you've struck out on each forum you posted your query in.  I've been waiting for someone more knowledgable than me to respond but seems everyone else is waiting as well.

I know of no way to restore Windows from Dos without the Windows cd.  It seems you may have run SYS C: from the startup disk in which case you may be able to boot into Dos on your hard disk but your Windows system may be well and truly unrecoverable.  That's a lot of "mays".  Perhaps someone else will take up the cause and hopefully prove how wrong I am.

Before doing too much more on the hard disk I suggest you use a boot disk (bootdisk.com) and try to recover your data files, if you have important data on the hdd that is.  You could also slave your hdd on another pc to recover files.

Sorry, cant be of any help to you in your hour of need.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

pcdoc4christ

Re: Help loading Windows using DOS prompt
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:09:35 AM »
AH:

I have to agree with Dusty.  The only other thing that comes to mind is that the earliest versions of Windows 95 were installed with floppy disks only, the same way that Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was installed.  

Even when computers are purchased with Windows already installed, the manufacturer still provides some kind of system restoration CDs or diskettes.  Did your system come with them?

Doc  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 05:11:06 AM by pcdoc4christ »