Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Heatsink Does Not Working Properly  (Read 6615 times)

himgil

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Heatsink Does Not Working Properly
    « on: October 05, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
    Hi folks,

My problem is my heatsink on Toshiba L300 laptop. Several days ago, my computer started to shutdown due to overheating. Changed thermal paste, clean dust, yet same disappointing result. Today I realized that my heatsink does not working as it should be. I run my PC as is apart, and checked that the part right above the processor is SO *censored* HOT, but fan-end of heatsink is ridiculously cool.

So, is it possible to a copper-based heatsink just lost its ability to conduct? If not, is it how heatsink should work? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Salmon Trout

Re: Heatsink Does Not Working Properly
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »
    That copper looking thing is a heat pipe. It is not a solid piece of copper. It is hollow inside and should contain a partial vacuum and a coolant. If the pipe develops a tiny crack the gas can leak out and air gets in. The heat pipe is then destroyed. Also the gas can diffuse out over time. You can test it by taking it out and holding it by the CPU end and putting the end with fins in hot water. The CPU end should get warm almost instantly. If it tests OK do not put it back in the laptop before it has completely dried. They are cheap to buy, new and used. It is better to get a new one because a used one may have a developing crack or the gas could be low. You should handle it carefully to avoid stressing the pipe.

himgil

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
      Thanks for the reply Salmon.

I've already checked heatsink with hot water method, and unfortunately, it is very hard for it to conduct heat from one end to another. And there is no apparent leak or damage on the surface since I've never touched it before (or dropped it in this case). Is there any way to check that gas is all gone? Put in water and waiting doesn't resolve my problem :)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »
      The gas can diffuse through the metal or at the pipe ends where you cannot see. Or through minute cracks you cannot see with the naked eye. if it has failed the test you need to get a new one.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
      Is there any way to check that gas is all gone?

Yes. You have done it. It's gone. What don't you understand?

himgil

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:17:16 AM »
        Got it. Thanks for the reply.

himgil

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
          For future readers\searchers.

After I diagnosed my heatsink\heat pipe problem, I simply replaced it (bought from eBay for 5 bucks), and it runs just fine. Temperature is always around 50C and has not occurred any problem yet. So if anyone has a problem which could be described broadly as sudden shutdowns because of overheating of CPU, one should check thermal paste and fan and heatsink's functionalities before taking any serious action. Yes, this piece of *censored* based on copper, some gas, pure water, etc. could be broken and might stop working.

Thanks for replies.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
          this piece of *censored*

Maybe English is not your first language, so you may not realise that using words like that is offensive and inappropriate on a forum like this. Also inaccurate. You just had a failed component.