Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8 Retail Date  (Read 7443 times)

blindhelpfultech

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Nadia
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Windows 8 Retail Date
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
For those of you looking into investing in windows 8, retail copyes of it will start selling on October 25, 2012. I am sure their are mixed thoughts about this so it would be a good choice just to present that fact and let others make up their mind. I know my choice already has been made but for those of you who want it that is the detail on the retail date.
Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

Salmon Trout

Re: Windows 8 Retail Date
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:44 PM »

blindhelpfultech

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Nadia
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »
next time I shell run the spell check I thought I had everything right. Sorry trought.
Great learders know they don't know everything and that is OK to say they have no idea. Doing that they will allow them to not knowing is not a problem, it leaves you to be open minded to learn from others It is OK to ask for detail and learn from those that as we are are all new at something and have our skill set.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »
I'm fairly certain it's the 26th, or at least it was at one time...

gregorypayan

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 04:55:37 AM »
    Can't wait to see windows 8 and compare it to 7 and below. 8)

TechnoGeek

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 07:45:35 AM »
    Can't wait to see windows 8 and compare it to 7 and below. 8)

I have the release preview in a VM and I've gotta say there's not a lot of stuff that I absolutely despise. The start screen is a little overwhelming but a lot like the kind of program launcher I already like to use anyway (CyLog software's ToolBox). Most of the stuff related to Desktop I like. And if I upgrade, i'm interested in knowing if my laptop's touchpad will work as described in a recent How-To Geek article.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
    I've had the RTM on a VM since Late August or Early September (I forget the exact date). and aside from the performance impact the VM has, I actually kind of liked how it worked. Though I wouldn't deny it would take some getting used to.

That said, I don't intent to upgrade to Windows 8 on my desktop for the foreseeable future.

I didn't use the Release Preview, myself, but those who have used both the Release Preview and the RTM Version have told me that a lot of their problems with the Release Preview are addressed by the RTM.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »
    Spent at least 3 weeks on both releases...safe to say i will not be upgrading...

WinME ver. 2012.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
    Beta of 8 didn't impress me... I am going to stick with Windows 7. Have this feeling its going to be the next bad MS Home OS version. Maybe MS will break the pattern!   ;D

3.11 Good
    95    Bad
    98    Good
    Me    Bad
    XP    Good
    Vista Bad
    7      Good
    8 = ? ( BAD ??? )

I will probably wait for Windows 9  ;)

TechnoGeek

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
    I don't feel that 'BAD' or WinME is quite a fair comparison. The way I see it is as windows 7 with a different start menu. :P

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
    3.11 Good
    95    Bad
    98    Good
    Me    Bad
    XP    Good
    Vista Bad
    7      Good
    8 = ? ( BAD ??? )

This might be a bit long, bit is nonetheless worth pointing out and explaining, I feel. I've always thought the whole "every two versions" thing was a load of complete tosh. Even this list has some glaring omissions. For example, if 3.11 was good, than by extension is the previous version- 3.1, bad? What made Windows 95 bad, when many people actually consider WIndows 95 better than Windows 98? Where is Windows 98SE in this? What about the NT lineup? Etcetera. I've just felt that that line of thinking just puts people at a predisposition for confirmation bias; just ignore those versions of windows that don't fit the pattern or come up with some otherwise arbitrary rule about what versions to include, and eventually you are going to create something with a discernable pattern. Let's look at each one in turn, and compare it to the previous.

Windows 95

Win95 was a huge facelift to Windows. It introduced the start menu and also made itself a more permanent style of Operating System, in that while it, in many ways, did run on top of DOS, it no longer truly relied on it in many ways. Many of the paradigms- especially the start menu and Notification Area-  that we still have today were birthed in Windows 95. It's weakness was with USB and it's implementation of plug & play, which to be fair was based on a as of yet incomplete spec that few understood and even fewer really cared about. At the time, many decried Windows 95 and swore to never switch from DOS and Windows 3.1 or 3.11 because Windows 95 was a memory hog and used too much disk space and required a faster CPU.

Windows 98

Windows 98 is OK, but really, it's nothing more than Windows 95 with a few updated libraries and executables and Active Desktop installed. Very little, IMO, really sets 98 apart form 95 on a grand scale, certainly not enough to make it possible for 98 to be bad, but 98 to be good. At the time, many decried Windows 98 and swore to never switch from 95 because 98 was a memory hog and used too much disk space and required a faster CPU.

Windows ME

I've yet to see any real evidence that Windows ME is a problematic OS. The only machines I've ever dealt with were in such a state of disrepair it would have been a miracle for any OS to not have problems. When the computer has sucked so much dust into it's vents you cannot even insert a floppy disk, I don't think it's really fair to blame the OS for problems. One big problem with ME was that it camr preinstalled on peoples machines, often with so much crap installed it's a wonder the machine can actually boot properly, let alone do anything. A Clean install of ME, something which very few detractors of the system have likely tried on reliable hardware, instead relying on things like "I cleaned a machine from a person that lives upstairs and it was slow and had ME on it, therefore Windows ME is bad" is certainly no worse than 98SE.

Windows XP

Windows XP merged the NT and Consumer product lines, finally doing away with the aging pile of turd that was the 9x codebase. good riddance. It also added Luna themes and a myriad of graphical enhancements. At the time, many decried Windows XP and swore to never switch from 98 because XP was a memory hog and used too much disk space and required a faster CPU.

Vista

Vista was the big one. The giant marketing blunder. I'm not even really sure what happened, but somehow, Windows Vista managed to drag with it a cloud of hate and loathing Issues like the RTM copying problem didn't help matters. Many people decried, and still decry, Vista and swear to never switch from 98 because Vista uses more memory, disk space, and uses a faster CPU, as well as now making use of any existing GPU.

Windows 7
    Despite being little more than a few topical additions  to Windows Vista, Windows 7 could be called a smash hit. The problem, of course, is that the similarities outweight the differences, and if A is similar to B and B is good, than surely A is good as well at least in some way.

Windows 8

Despite the "Evil Satanic OS" that is Vista, people are somehow clinging to Aero Glass, complaining that Windows 8 took it away; Windows 8 took away the start menu too, at least in part, but arguably, since the Start Menu was part of a "bad" OS, this should be considered a good change.

My point being that people will often reach a conclusion <before> considering facts, but this opens them up to confirmation bias. With a new OS, this is easy. Just ignore things that are improved and focus on this that are harder or have more problems. When you truly give the OS a chance- really embrace the new paradigm, sometimes you can be amazed at your increased productivity.

Comparison that is pretty similar. I installed Office 2013 recently, and it uses (even on WIn7) a very metro-like interface. I was used to Office 2003, so this was, at first, unfamiliar. However, I now have no problem navigating office to do most tasks, and spent more time actually working on writing rather then knee deep in Dialogs with a doze options on more than a dozen tabs.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
    Beta of 8 didn't impress me... I am going to stick with Windows 7. Have this feeling its going to be the next bad MS Home OS version. Maybe MS will break the pattern!   ;D

3.11 Good
    95    Bad
    98    Good
    Me    Bad
    XP    Good
    Vista Bad
    7      Good
    8 = ? ( BAD ??? )

I will probably wait for Windows 9  ;)
    Where would Windows 2000 fit?
    I'm satisfied with Win7 Home Premium; I can find no reason to change, even if it was free.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
    Win2K was between ME and XP...but way closer to ME's release date...
    In fact it may have been slightly before it.

TechnoGeek

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »
    Win2K was between ME and XP...but way closer to ME's release date...
    In fact it may have been slightly before it.
    If this is to be believed, 2000 was before ME, and ME was based on 9x with a few features from 2000 (related to media and internet).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows#Windows_Millennium_Edition_.28Me.29
    I don't think the 'pattern' really works very well; every release has brought good and bad changes. Not to mention the different branches (DOS-based, consumer/9x, business/NT, then the merge, the server editions, embedded and mobile OSes, etc etc etc.) and the extra confusion that introduces.

Personally, I don't think I'll be upgrading to Win8 right away (I will likely get it on a newer PC in a year or three though), simply because it's not something I need. If I was forced to use it I would be okay with it, though.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
    That is the correct timeline...i was going from memory which isn't as accurate as it used to be... 8)