Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ASUS UL50VT Battery cuts off at ~50%  (Read 4051 times)

Flazzard

Topic Starter

Beginner
    ASUS UL50VT Battery cuts off at ~50%
    « on: October 07, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »
    I bought the ASUS UL50VT laptop at the beginning of 2010. At the end of last year, the original battery that came with the laptop had some issues and I bought a new 12-cell battery for my laptop.

Now, my laptop always just cut off whenever my battery has a remaining of roughly 50% juice. Since it has only been 10 months since I got this battery, I doubt that it is no longer capable of holding charge. From what I experienced with battery that doesn't hold charge is that the battery indicator will just drop to 0% real fast, unlike mine which just cuts off at ~50%.

I did some research online and I came across some discussions talking about how the ACPI is not reading the battery charge correctly and a calibration has to be done in the BIOS. I tried doing that but realized that my laptop's BIOS doesn't have the battery calibration option in it.

I also came across other discussions which says that calibration can be done by just allowing the battery to drain off while on the BIOS screen. Then followed by a full charge of the laptop. This also did not seem to work (unless I am doing something wrong).

For the moment, I have disabled the ACPI and just checking if my laptop will last longer than 50%. Before disabling the ACPI, the windows battery meter was reading ~7-8 hours and it was at 93%. So if my laptop doesn't just cuts off at ~3-4 hours, then I was thinking that I could conclude that it is indeed the ACPI misreading my battery level.

In the mean time, I was wondering if any of you could help me diagnose this problem and tell me if it is indeed a dying battery issue or is the ACPI reading my battery level wrongly?

Btw, when I mentioned that my laptop just cuts off, I do not mean that it goes through shut down, sleep or hibernate process. I believe it is the same as disconnecting the ac cable when your laptop is not connected to the battery.

Flazzard

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: ASUS UL50VT Battery cuts off at ~50%
      « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:25:04 AM »
      *UPDATE*

Before disabling the ACPI, the Windows Battery Meter and BatteryBar shows that I have 7-8 hours of battery usage. Then I disabled the ACPI and left the laptop running. After about 3 hours plus, my laptop just got cut off again. I connected the AC cable and re-enabled the ACPI and my battery was again at roughly half-bar.

If anyone has similar experience and knows what is wrong, do kindly let me know. I would really like to know if its a battery problem or just bad coding in the ACPI (that's what I noticed on several webpages).

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:44:12 AM »
      Sounds to me likt the battery has one bad cell.
      Have you had it tested ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Flazzard

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 08:25:13 AM »
        How do I test the battery out?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »
        Any local PC shop can do it...usually for Free.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "