Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't restore desktop to factory settings  (Read 3629 times)

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

I can't restore desktop to factory settings
    « on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
    Hi,

I am trying to restore my friends desktop. He has an HP desktop with XP. I press F11 during bootup. I then chose the option to restore to factory settings. I click on Yes. And then less than a minute later, it says restore is done, to make sure there is no CD in the CD drive & to restart the PC. I restart the PC and logged in. The restore didn't work. The 1st time I had a CD in the drive. The 2nd time, I didn't have a CD & the restore still didn't work. I tried System Restore and the earliest I can go back in September 1. Could the hard drive have a virus that would prevent me from restoring to factory settings? My friend is going to run Malwarebytes tonight. He ran MCfee and it said it found 1 threat. When I clicked on fix it took me to website where I have to pay to upgarde Mcafee. Please help us.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I can't restore desktop to factory settings
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
    What HP desktop model, OS and kind of Windows CD(label) you are using? If your antivirus is expired, uninstall by their removal tool and download a free version. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials/download the newly installed will make a scan for any residing virus. Malwarebytes should help remove other infections, depending on how severe you are infected.

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: I can't restore desktop to factory settings
      « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:22:39 PM »
      We ran malware bytes and it found 14 viruses. We also ran CC cleaner and deleted some stuff.  Then I found the HP Recovery software via Start>Programs. I restarted the PC and it took me to the same screen that F11 took me. I chose restore to factory settings and this time it worked. Thank you to everyone for responding.