Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A recent observation re Opera  (Read 4193 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

A recent observation re Opera
    « on: October 08, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
    I happened to be perusing the OldVersions sight and came across  this article on Opera. As Opera is my preferred browser i was pleased to be forewarned about  doing the upgrade that is mentioned.Perhaps it will be helpful to other members.
    http://www.oldversion.com/blog/oh-my-what-have-opera-done/
    truenorth

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: A recent observation re Opera
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
    Hi truenorth.  I experienced the problem of high CPU resource usage when I upgraded to Opera 12.  So, I switched Firefox for awhile.  Now that I have Opera 12.02, the latest version, Opera seems to be performing like the last 11.xx version I had before upgrading to 12.0.  In other words, Opera seems to have got the message from user complaints and resolved the problem.   

Actually, I've encountered the same phenomena with Firefox; in other words, a new release being plagued by high CPU and/or RAM usage and Firefox resolving the problem with a later release. 

Edit:
    The comments in your link included comments about problems playing streaming media on websites such as youtube.  I've experienced spells of sluggish/choppy video but it has usually seemed to affect any browser I use on my Windows 7 system which is just a Pentium 4.  I've found that running CCleaner not infrequently to clean browser history really helps prevent the problem; since CCleaner will clean all browsers during its scan, it's a convenient tool to use for this. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »
    The key to both browsers is to turn off auto updates and wait a week or so and check the Forums for issues...
    I'm kinda against any updates being shoved on my system with any product...
    But that's just me...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »
    The key to both browsers is to turn off auto updates and wait a week or so and check the Forums for issues...
    I'm kinda against any updates being shoved on my system with any product...
    But that's just me...
    I agree.  I find Firefox especially aggravating with regard to updates.  They make controlling the updates by the user way too difficult. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »
    I agree.  I find Firefox especially aggravating with regard to updates.  They make controlling the updates by the user way too difficult.

I haven't been able to even get flash working for about two months at this point. I'd say that's because of Adobe, though, not Firefox. (Though I don't have the problem with other browsers).
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.