Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cant access shared printer anymore  (Read 3424 times)

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

I cant access shared printer anymore
    « on: September 07, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
    I was able to connect to a shared Samsung 2160 with my Windows 7 laptop 2 weeks ago at work. I haven't been able to connect to this printer since last week. When I try to print, nothing happens. I try to connect to another shared Samsung 2160. It looks like its going to connect. And then it says that the path is wrong. I tried to connect to PC by entering the PC name in the Run box. Says the path is wrong. I am still able to connect to these printers via desktop. My laptop & desktop where the printer is plugged both have Workgroup as the workgroup name. I have Norton Security. It found 50 viruses last week which I cleaned. And I am connected to the internet when I try to connect to these shared printers.

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I cant access shared printer anymore
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 11:42:40 PM »
    Good eveing JL2008 and welcome to CH

That printer comes in a couple  of models the ML2160 and CLX2160 and considering you said it was shared that you have the ML2160?

Your issue sounds like the sharing from the PC where the printer is connected (USB I am assuming) is disabled or Norton is doing it's normal and messing up.

For a test I would shut down Norton temporally and test printing and then if that doesn't work I would check the firewall on the shared PC that it is allowing the printer and software thru.

Hope this helps you, Mike 
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
      Thanks for writing back.

Sorry I meant to say the printer is a ML-2165W. Yes the PC is connected via USB.  The PC where the printer is connected is not disable. I was able to connect to this printer with 2 other desktops. I will disable Norton on Monday and let you know what happens.

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 07:15:29 PM »
        I shut down Norton temporarily. And that didnt fix the problem.

I have some more info. I plugged in the ethernet from my desktop & changed the workgroup to work. I was able to connect to the printer(Printer connected is XP)by creating a local port. There was a message that said to check the port but it still printed what I wanted to print. I unplugged the cable. And I wasnt able to print. I connected the USB to this PC and it worked. Any ideas? It has something to do with my wireless connection?

The other printer(Printer connected to 2000): I couldnt even connec to the PC. It said the path was wrong.

JL2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
          Sorry for late reply. I thought that I had replied back. I'm all set. Thanks.