Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copy a folder without CMD or crtl + C  (Read 3823 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Copy a folder without CMD or crtl + C
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:47:27 AM »
I'm trying to copy a folder to My documents, I don't have access to the folder and every time I try to open it  I get "Access to C:\my document\ is not an allowed recourse" (Bad and roughly translation) They have disabled  CMD and removed the right click on files/folder and on the desktop. I can write files to it. I'm trying to save progress of a game that saves in "C:\my document\My Games", if I save a file in "save as..." I can see the my documents folder and the save files are in there, so I can save and read files to the location but can't move it.

So I got limited access but I can run programs from an USB device. So if anyone knows a program that can moves files I can probably use that. So I want to copy a folder from "E:\" to "C:\my document\" forth and back (I have access to "E:\"(as in I can open that folder))
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Copy a folder without CMD or crtl + C
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:19:58 AM »
This is a Local Hack to get elevated privileges... if you do this and get caught you could get into trouble. Perform at own risk! Some bosses will fire you if you bypass security even if locally at the computer! Guessing this is a corporate computer.

Boot system off of Knoppix Live Linux CD or DVD. This will give you admin privileges to C: to read/write and retrieve your game. Knoppix has USB drivers so you can copy from C: to whatever letter USB is such as E: etc.

The only way this wont work if is the drive is encrypted. If its a regular windows build without drive encryption, you can read/write to any part of C:.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:38:33 AM »
So I have to restart the computer every time I want to copy the folder? I think I can access Safe mode (unless it's password protected), so I guess I can copy the folder by doing that. I don't know if I want that much trouble to do that. I was thinking of using Dropbox to sync the "My games" folder in my documents, don't know if it's works tho.

I don't think I can get "caught" because this isn't a job, and it's more like school I guess. So security is close to none.

Oh, forgot to say that I don't have access to windows search, so stuff like msconfig, dxdiag and those programs I haven't found a way to start yet. Even the task manager won't work.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
Why don't you talk to the folks that own the PC ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »
Why don't you talk to the folks that own the PC ? ?

The "school" that I go on don't own the computers, they hire a other company that update and (try) to keep them working with some remote access. And the chance that they will allow us to open My documents is 0%.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »
Then to me it sounds like they actually don't want you to do what you are attempting to do...

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »
Then to me it sounds like they actually don't want you to do what you are attempting to do...

Well it's more for the security, so people don't install virus and delete system files. And I don't think that they would care if you backup your save files. Because I guess it's much harder to change where the game is suppose to save the save files then just copy a folder?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:34:36 AM »
Then...as i stated before...you need to ask them directly...

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
I don't think I can get "caught" because this isn't a job, and it's more like school I guess. So security is close to none.

You can get caught! And if its a college you could get kicked out! I was warned!
The 2 colleges I attended remember me. I and my friends Tim and George assumed they wouldnt care if we did some things as long as we put stuff back the way it was and put stuff back that we borrowed for on campus projects. There is a Hackers book that a friend gave me to borrow with a broken pencil with electronic parts sticking out of the fractured pencil on the cover, which made me laugh when I found out that others before me took it upon themselves to alter and borrow hardware from other locations on campus without approval. I was fortunate that I didnt get kicked out of college for some of it, especially the computer that was in the hallway on its side for a week that looked like trash and the college noticed it missing and were going to investigate. I borrowed it for a project in my lab and had it opened up and other guts added etc to make it a server. I was told to immediately put it back to the way that it was and return it to them.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
I can't get kicked out. it's not really school. It's an independent cooperation that was hired by the guys who help people that don't have a job aka former students and other. And they have guys speaking and gathering contacts to help people find jobs and give speeches to students.

Also this is just copy a file, not be like Greenpeace and take a ladder, climb over a fence and then run straight in to 3 different nuclear power plants and play hide and seek for 40+ hours with the cops. Tobe honest it's quite hilarious, and a lite scary if it wasn't Greenpeace and they had a bomb....