Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A question re Opera 12.02  (Read 6237 times)

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

A question re Opera 12.02
    « on: October 11, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
    I recently upgraded to Opera 12,02 and believe i am having an issue i did not have with my earlier versions.I often wish to forward (copy/paste) URL addresses to others. Now i find that the address bar contains the actual name of the site but not the URL. I can go into history and with the name when the cursor is placed over it a secondary window opens that does contain the specific URL for the site. However when endeavoring to move the cursor over the URL the box closes thus copy/paste from there is not possible. Is there any way to have the URL displayed in the address bar or some other method that would display it and allow for copy/paste ( using cntl C/cntl/V)? Currently when i find a site i want to copy/paste i am opening Google Chrome and locating the site and am able to copy/paste from the address bar there. Which seems to me to be a very arcane method of doing what i want.truenorth

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: A question re Opera 12.02
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:34:47 PM »
    Truenorth, I have version 12.02 and do not have that problem.  The actual URL is displayed in the address box and I can copy/paste it using the Ctrl/C, Ctrl/V keyboard shortcuts.  So, I don't know why your browser is doing that.  I suggest you post a question in http://my.opera.com/community/forums/tgr.dml?id=2.  I've used that forum for Opera questions and found it helpful. 

Edit: Ah, I do have a suggestion that might resolve your issue.  Go to Tools, Preferences, and select the Advanced tab.  Then, in the left column of that panel, click on Browsing.  Then, check the box for "Show full web address in address box". 

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »
      Soybean, Thank you for the suggestion. I may indeed try that route if i cannot figure this out (perhaps with further input from other CH members). Your last part of the reply was particularly interesting as it certainly seemed like all the right route to go. However there is a major problem with it. I do not have that tool bar in the open Opera window. All attempts to get it to appear (from within Opera options ) were unsuccessful as it never appears. By the way in case it is a factor the O/S is Win 7 64. This is occuring on my Toshiba laptop i also use Opera on other computers so i will have to check and see if the problem is also there.They are using win xp. I am including a screen shot of an open Opera page with all the material on the desktop displayed so you can see what i am getting. truenorth

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »
      If you click on the Opera button at the upper left corner of the Opera window, the drop list will/should show "Show Menu Bar" as an option; it will be the last item above "Exit".  Click on Show Menu Bar to enable it.  Then, you'll have the Menu Bar, with Tools as one of the menu commands.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
        Your described route to obtain "tools" did work as described. When i opened the "Show full web address in address box" was NOT checked. When checking it and redoing the search for a particular web site (chosen by choosing "malwarebytes from a Google search) and clicking on the link. I have done another screen capture showing both the malwarebytes site and the selected  "Show full web address in address box".  checked in the appropriate window. However you will again notice that there is still no URL address shown.
        truenorth

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 08:35:14 PM »
        I suggest you post a question in http://my.opera.com/community/forums/tgr.dml?id=2.  I've used that forum for Opera questions and found it helpful. 

TechnoGeek

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
        You need to reset the navigation toolbar -- you don't actually have the address box on it; just the search box.
        I think you go to appearance settings (forgot where those are and I don't use Opera anymore), and/or you can right-click the toolbar and 'reset to defaults'.

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
          TechnoGeek,Thank you for your input. The "navigation"toolbar can be accessed via "view" and it is the 1st item in a list that then displays all the tool bar options. In my case the "navigation" toolbar  was already checked. Before posing my question i had tried the restore defaults approach and as you know that also doesn't work. In fact at one point or another i have selected/deselected every toolbar option available in the menu and no address bar has appeared. I shall be turning on another computer later today with Opera on it and XP and shall see what i find there. Beginning to appear that soybean's repeated suggestion may be in the works soon. truenorth

TechnoGeek

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
          What I mean by 'reset' is to reset the toolbar; I don't know what defaults you restored before. Right-click the toolbar with the search box and the avast webrep icon, then 'restore toolbar to defaults'. If that's what you did, I'm sorry, but I don't know what you restored before.

Also see this link, which I think is highly relevant: http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/reset-toolbar

truenorth

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »
            Undoubtedly i could have rephrased my comment re the "as you know"  better which prompted your " I don't know what defaults you restored before. ". What i was implying that 1. i was informing you (and the forum) that i HAD done the restore defaults. and 2. As could be seen from the attachment it had NOT produced the address bar. Not that you personally had known before that last post of mine. Thanks for the link i will be checking it out.truenorth
            Just after posting the above my wife walks into the kitchen and tells me to stand aside. I of course immediately comply (she who must be obeyed). She clicks a couple of things and low and behold (see attachment below) i now have an address bar. So i ask what did you do? She says i clicked a blank spot on the tool bar (just after the "key" icon ) and in the opened window clicks "restore defaults" and presto address bar appeared. So i have thanked her in the traditional husband/wife manner and i also thank you. Even though i had clicked on "restore defaults" via other routes in Opera they had NOT changed anything.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:03:49 AM by truenorth »

soybean

Genius
            « Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »
            So i ask what did you do? She says i clicked a blank spot on the tool bar (just after the "key" icon ) and in the opened window clicks "restore defaults" and presto address bar appeared. So i have thanked her in the traditional husband/wife manner and i also thank you. Even though i had clicked on "restore defaults" via other routes in Opera they had NOT changed anything.
            To be precise, it says "Restore Toolbar to Its Defaults".  I believe this same reset action can also be found by clicking Tools, Appearance, select the Button tab, select Defaults in the left column if not already selected, and then click the button named "Restore Toolbar to Its Defaults" in the lower of the panel.