Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless connection problems  (Read 2837 times)

stephcarr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Wireless connection problems
    « on: October 17, 2012, 06:32:08 AM »
    Hello, first time posting here, go easy on me :)  OK, so here's the deal.  When I open up my laptop recently I'll have no internet connection even though I'm connected to the network, it says something like "limited access".  I have to restart my router and then it works perfectly.  I never used to have this problem.  Now this may be unrelated but I really want to get down to the root of the problem.  My boyfriend (who is an avid bit torrent downloader) has moved in with me about a month ago, the problem started about 2 weeks ago.  He has these downloads running 24 hours a day and I'm most certain that's taking up a lot of bandwidth.  Recently I have only used internet for checking bank accounts, to access my college website and paying bills.  So I'm pretty sure I'm not using a whole lot of data at all.  I'm afraid he's clogging up my internet to where my router kicks my computer off the network.  I thought it may be a problem with my wireless card but I have been going through these steps:  open computer ----->  open browser ---->  no internet (pull hair out) ---->  push reset button on router -----> wait 5 minutes and shazam internet is working again.  So I'm not changing any settings within my computer.  So I'm thinking it is an external problem.  The problem is constant within the last 2 weeks.  It's getting very frustrating and the internet is working on his computer 100% of the time.  I have a fairly high end Dell XPS he has an antique HP with a celeron processor.  I'm on wireless N, he's on G.  Also I guess maybe my router is "dumbing down"  to wireless G for his computer as well.  So maybe that is the issue.  I dunno, I'm frustrated and I need help to figure out this problem.  Thanks for any advice or solutions you may have :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless connection problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:01:15 AM »
    My boyfriend (who is an avid bit torrent downloader) has moved in with me about a month ago, the problem started about 2 weeks ago.  He has these downloads running 24 hours a day and I'm most certain that's taking up a lot of bandwidth.  Recently I have only used internet for checking bank accounts, to access my college website and paying bills.

THIS = RECIPE FOR DISASTER

I'd kick that Bit Torrent junk off that system that is used for banking, perform a full scan with antivirus as well as from Malwarebytes for malicious code. Change all passwords. Check statements thoroughly to make sure no money is missing, such as small amounts in frequent intervals etc. Whoever's name the ISP connection is licensed to could go to jail if the FBI tracks the illegal downloads if the bit torrent which by nature have been used usually to steal stuff is picked up on their radar.

Hackers love routers with default passwords. Had this router been set up with a password other than the default. If its still set to default password to admin it. Check the flash version out. If old version perform flash update and change password, if newest version change password. If flash version does not match any prior version by the manufacturer, your router could have been hacked and flashed remotely with an evil flash which passes information out to hacker(s) to track you and sniff out passwords, account numbers etc. If anything seems strange with router, throw it away and get a new one. They are cheap these days to replace. If replacing change default password for admin of device soon after installing.

He could be saturating the bandwidth to where none is left for you. Tell him to download that junk someplace else like a wifi hotspot if he must do so, so if he gets caught they only throw him in prison vs you too, tracking traffic back to laptop at a coffee shop etc vs smashing your door in and raiding all your posessions and turning your life upside down ;)

stephcarr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Wireless connection problems
      « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:41:51 AM »
      Thank you.  I had a bad feeling this was the case.  I'll take care of it.  I thankfully take very good care of my computer and am up to date on my antivirus.  But I am a little concerned about the data pumped through the router.  I have AT&T uverse so my password is default and I have no clue how to change it.  I'll contact AT&T and see what they tell me.