Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard disk partition  (Read 3743 times)

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Hard disk partition
    « on: October 15, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
    My hard disk was partitioned into drives C: and D:.  I found I seldom use the D drive.  Can I delete that drive without affecting the other settings and and the contents of the C drive?  Will the storage space be available to the C drive?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hard disk partition
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:18:43 AM »
    You need to check your documentation to make sure it isn't the hidden Recovery partition which you may need some day...if it is you can still follow rhe guide for creating the Recovery CF's at which point you can delete the info and use the drive for storage...

I usually make 2 sets and store 1 off site just in case.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:19:49 AM »
    You can delete D: and merge the space back into C:, but what's the point? Unless you need more space on C: drive, just start using D:. I'm a big fan of partitions - all of my systems have a bunch of them.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:41 AM »
      You need to check your documentation to make sure it isn't the hidden Recovery partition which you may need some day...if it is you can still follow rhe guide for creating the Recovery CF's at which point you can delete the info and use the drive for storage...

I usually make 2 sets and store 1 off site just in case.

It is not the hidden Recovery partition.  The partitions were done for me, on the reasoning that files in drive D would be less likely to be affected than the system files in drive C in case of virus attack.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »
      If you want to add the D:\ space to C:\ in disk management format D: after you have backed up any files...then allocate it by clicking on it and selecting that choice.
      Then right clik C: and select merge and it should finish the process.
      Re-boot afterwards.

Or you can simply leave it as is and store all pics, movies and music there for example which will free up space on C:

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:31:07 AM »
        If you want to add the D:\ space to C:\ in disk management format D: after you have backed up any files...then allocate it by clicking on it and selecting that choice.
        Then right clik C: and select merge and it should finish the process.
        Re-boot afterwards.

Or you can simply leave it as is and store all pics, movies and music there for example which will free up space on C:
        You can delete D: and merge the space back into C:, but what's the point? Unless you need more space on C: drive, just start using D:. I'm a big fan of partitions - all of my systems have a bunch of them.

I only have a total of 160GB in my hard disk, C: with 97.4 and D: with 50.5.   Only 19.1GB is free in C: now.
        To fully utilize my duo core CPU, I wanted to upgrade from Vista Home Basic that came with my laptop to Windows 7 Home Premium.  For that, I needed full backup in case something went wrong.  I bought an Intel SSD 520 with 240GB.  After cloning what's on my HD to the SSD, I intend to swap the two so that the SSD ends up inside my laptop.  Then I'm going to do the upgrading on the SSD.
        I don't know how the C: and  D: will space out in the 240GB SSD.  So I thought I'll just delete the D: in the HD first.
        Let's see if I got it right  -  the steps are:
        1. backup the files in D
        2. click "Format D" in disk management
        3. right click C and select merge
        4. reboot.
        Correct?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:52:09 AM »
        Correct...then re-boot.
        Once you have verified all went well then you can create your image file...

A few questions/things you may want to consider 1st though ? ?

What app are you going to use to create the image ? ?
        Where are you going to save the image to ? ? You cannot create an image file of C: and also save it to C: so it's something to consider ahead of time...
        Make sure you "verify" the image 1st...time consuming but worth it since it's the whole drive...
        And finally after all do you plan on burning a hard copy of the successful image ? ?...i would.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »
          Correct...then re-boot.
          Once you have verified all went well then you can create your image file...

A few questions/things you may want to consider 1st though ? ?

What app are you going to use to create the image ? ?
          Where are you going to save the image to ? ? You cannot create an image file of C: and also save it to C: so it's something to consider ahead of time...
          Make sure you "verify" the image 1st...time consuming but worth it since it's the whole drive...
          And finally after all do you plan on burning a hard copy of the successful image ? ?...i would.

Intel provides a free Data Migration software on its website for download which actually is from Acronis.  A catch is that the recommended minimum screen resolution is 1152 x 864, while my laptop screen is 1280 x 800. I don't know if that matters.  Another is Macrium Reflect.  Which should I select?
          I intend to delete D: first, then save an image of the whole HD to my SSD which can be connected to my laptop as an external storage disk via USB.  After swapping the HD with the SSD, the HD becomes an external backup storage disk connectable to the laptop again via USB.
          Do I still need to burn a hard copy?  It would take a lot of CDs, wouldn't it?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:48 AM »
          The graphics is not an issue...it'll look slightly different than your used to but no big deal.
          When you connect the SSD via USB external you need to format it and make sure to set it as a primary/active drive/partition BEFORE imaging it...
          Other than that you should be good to go...
          As far as the apps Acronis is my paid choice...and Macrium my Free choice...so it's ironic you mentioned both.    ;D

Any other questions before you start feel free to post back.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 06:17:36 PM »

Can you tell me the advantages of having partitions? 
            If I continue to have C: and D:, what will happen to the space allocation once I image my 160GB HD to my 240GB SSD?  Will the extra space in my SSD be proportionately distributed between C: and D:?  Thank you

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 02:39:03 AM »
              I found the solution.  Intel Data Migration software allows you the choice of determining the sizes of the partitions during cloning. 
              Thank you all for the help offered.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 07:25:15 AM »
              Anytime...and bring us good news.
              Keep in mind when creating the partitions the image partition C: has to be the same size or greater...it cannot be smaller.

wmk

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 02:42:50 AM »
                I'm glad to report that the cloning, using the Intel Data Migration Softward, is a success.  And I have swapped the SSD with my HD so that the SSD is now inside my laptop.  The next step will be upgrading from Vista Home Basic to Windows 7 Home Premium.  Hope that's ok too.