Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which Function Key goes to DOS on Startup/ReBoot-Need to Reformat Corrupt HDD?  (Read 4268 times)

phil_crawford

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    I have a SATA II HDD & loaded Windows XP. I had to load the Toshiba Tecra A8 (EZ-8312) drivers/updates to have Internet Access (LAN & WIFI drivers). I got a THotkey plug in error; the Common Modules (ACPI) driver needed to be loaded before the Sound driver. It's too time consuming to error trace the plug-in error in Registry (RegEdit). So, I want to Quick Format the HDD. Which Function Key is used at Startup/Reboot to go to DOS. I can't reformat from the Command Prompt in Windows. Please advise asap. Thank you.

Phone # removed.
    « Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 07:15:20 AM by patio »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    All you need to do for a wipe is to boot to the XP CD and delete/re-create the C: partition and continue the setup for a clean install...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

phil_crawford

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Yes, I was able to go into CMOS & change the Drive boot path to CD from HDD.
      Windows XP has a recovery in the advanced section/status screen at lower status bar for selecting a Function key.
      I removed the Toshiba 100GB; the shop quarantined the viruses on the infected drive & moved the pst files over to the Seagate 1TB External HDD, via USB cable.
      Then, we used the Thermaltake 2.5"/3.5" External Enclosure w/USB cable.
      By their recommendation, I've switched from AVG12 to AVAST for my Anti-virus Program (freeware)
      I reinstalled the new 500GB (Toshiba) HDD w. 2002 Windows XP Pro O/S & Office XP Pro. It now works fine; 4 hours later to tweak the sound, video, chipset, LAN & WFI & patches.
      & update Windows Validation w. Security files. Plus call in & auto-register both the MS O/S & Office Applications.
      I recommending in the 2.5" / 3.5" Combination USB 3.0 Docking Station for building / installing/ partitioning/ Removing Anti-virus infections, etc.
      For +/- $30. it's a solid investment. No longer do you have to build the HDD into a system, or bulking HDD Stand. It's like a Toaster w/an expandable slot or the dual-slot, versions.
      SIIG, Vantec, Aluratek, Startech & Cirago all do the same task. Many to choose from. From research, my preference is the Thermaltake or Vantec.. I'm buying a used one this week-
      What an atvantage when fixing/isolating files/ or any HDD work! Phil