Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two WD externals acting up  (Read 9957 times)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Two WD externals acting up
« on: October 18, 2012, 05:01:43 AM »
Okay everyone, I am back again with a new fun issue.

I had an old computer running Windows 7. I build a new computer and realized I had left some files I needed on the old drive. So I placed it in an external enclosure. I will call this Disc 3 (this is the designation given in disc management). For the first few days, this external and my back-up (Disk 4 where I back-up my files from Disc 3) worked absolutely fine.

Then, about two days ago (roughly two weeks after making the new computer) when I started my computer, I got the Windows message “the discs need to be formatted” for both drives. Now they both have very weird, separate errors.

My current computer specs are:
Windows 7 64-bit
Video card      GeForce GTX 660
Processor        AMD A10 5800K processor
Ram                 8GB
Motherboard   ASUS F2 A85-M PRO
Power supply  Raidmax RX-730SS

I plug in Disc 3, or restart with Disc 3 already attached, and it does not give me an error message, but the drive is not assigned a drive letter, and does not appear in My Computer. I can see the drive in Disc Management, at the bottom (image) list. The drive does not appear in the top (text) list.

The drive is listed as Disc 3 Unrecognized 930GB Not Initialized in the first slot and 930GB Unallocated in the second slot. When I right click the right spot, all the options such as "new Volume, Assign drive letter and paths" are grayed out. When I right click on the left spot, I can choose "Initialize disc, Offline, Properties, and Help."

If I select Initialize, it gives me two options, but both end the same way: "Disc Initialization Failed."

I am also having a problem with my other external drive, Disk 4. (placed here because I am having trouble believing both drives crapped out on me at once) where it is extremely slow loading. I can play and open files from the drive, but when I try to copy them it hangs, explorer.exe crashes, or it gives me a “Error: 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired.” It consistently appears in My Computer, but sometimes it may take 5-10 minutes to appear. It also tells me often "windows must format the drive to use it" when I plug it in. I know this probably means this drive is failing.

After doing some googling, I found out this semaphore timeout error is a network error, but I am not copying these files over a network, in fact I even unplugged my internet on this computer to see if that would help but I continue to get the semaphore error. Both hard drives are attached using WD enclosures, both are WD hard drives. I have 4 enclosures, and have tried them all, same result. I have several cords, have tried them all, same result. I have an old internal hard drive, that I placed into the enclosures, and it works fine.

Placed Disc 3 into the computer (took it out of the enclosure and connected it directly to the motherboard). Now it appears in My Computer as Drive h:/ under Local Drives with a large blue ? on it. When I try to get into the drive, it says “Cannot access the drive. Make sure the drive is connected and the file path is correct and try again.” But...it is a hard disc drive. Why does it appear under Local Drives? This drive was never set up to be shared over a network (actually I am not even sure how to do that).

Placed Disc 4 into the computer, and it says “You must format the disc before using it. Would you like to format it now?” but I select No because I need data from at least one these drives.

Disc 3 has some important files (both college work and job-work) that were backed up onto disc 4. Recovering either drive is okay (I do not need to recover both). But it seems so crazy that they both crash on me, with such different errors, on the same day.

Both disc 3 and 4 give the "disc must be formatted" error on my other computer, regardless of internal or external connection.

Occasionally, I can gain access to both drives, and see the files, and copy a few, but Disc 4 will give me the "semaphore error" after about 10-20 minutes and Disc 3 will do the "disconnection sound" and tell me the drive is no longer accessible.

Next I will be trying the “freeze the drive” option some people have suggested from googling, but I decided to see if anyone here had any more suggestions.

tl;dr version
2 drives work fine
2 drives both say "need formatted" on start-up, same day
Externally, one drive does not appear in My Computer, other has Semaphore error and slow loading
Internally, one drive can not be accessed and one drive "needs formatted".
Sometimes drives work, but never for long

Thank you for any help.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Two WD externals acting up
    « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »
    This is indeed a conundrum as what could appear to be some possible problems are undermined by others. Such as having had some experience with external enclosures one might be tempted to see that as a probable cause. However given that the drives in question have been connected directly and still exhibit issues makes that unlikely. Given that these 2 drives don't function properly in another computer point logically to a problem with the drives. However that 2 would exhibit faults on the same day while possible stretches ones imagination as you observe. The thing that jumped out at me is that you said "I had an old computer running Windows 7". Which is where these 2 drives came from. Presuming that they worked fine on it what operating system was on that computer before windows 7 was installed on it? If it was an old computer it would NOT have had win 7 on it initially. Could the problem be related to the possibility that most of the content held on those drives was created with the initial operating system? I know this is a stretch but for the moment lacking some other notion that is the only thing that seems to be common to both drive problems.truenorth

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 07:53:49 AM »
    Yes, the older computer had Windows 7 on it initially. The older computer was a custom build as well, built from about a year ago. This new one I just built a month ago. I tend to upgrade a lot. Both OS are 64 bit.

The disc 3 was the internal drive, that has Windows 7 installed to it. Disk 4 was an external I was using as a backup. I had an acronis disc image saved to disk 4, well as files and folders. The disc image is of disk 3 and the files and filders are from disc 3.

What really stumps me is that both drives worked perfectly fine. Then they both failed same day, with different errors. You are right, it streaches the imagination.

So to clarify, disk 3 used to be an internal drive, and has Windows 7 installed to it, but I moved it to an external enclosure. Disk 4 was always an external drive.

When I tested them on the other computer, it was the old computer I pulled them from. The computer will not book to the disk 3 anymore even when installed internally it says bootmgr not found, so I formatted another drive and instaled 7 to that. Both drives came up as " need to be formatted" but when I switched them back to my new computer, I was able to veiw some files on disc 3 and copy them, for about ten minutes, then the drive disconnected.

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for the suggestion. I will try the freezer thing when I get homefrom work tonight.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
      OK so really the aspect of the original computer being older is NOT relevant to my observation as i was thinking older as being pre win 7 which is not the case here. The other item i note now is that you have a drive (#3) that obviously was the drive that contained the operating system etc from it's original home (the older computer). It now finds itself in unfamiliar territory (a new home -the new computer). I would ask that other CH members contribute as to whether than could create the type of issue you are having with that drive. All the hardware/software/drivers/etc. are those that were needed and used by the old computer and most likely vary in many instances to those used on the new computer. So ultimately you may need to do an attempt at data recovery for anything you would like to retain from the drive and then reformat it in order to be able to use it on the new computer. truenorth

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 04:22:57 AM »
      Okay,  I tried the freezing trick and got access to Disk 3 for about an hour, so I placed it (properly protected) in a bucket of ice and got all my files transferred. YAY!

For fun and giggles I placed Disc 4 in the freezer, but still could not get access to the files. It kept appearing differently in Disc Management (the drive had no partitions, or that is to say, was not divided up into more than 1 drive, but it would frequently appear in Disc Management as having 2 or more partitions, as being RAW or Unknown format, and misrepresenting the size of the drive.)

I am not going to mark as solved yet, in case someone has some idea as to how two drives up and died on me on the same day (this is my running assumption right now, but wow I must be unlucky).

Now I am out to buy a new back-up drive! Yay!

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • Yes
      Now, Three WD externals acting up
      « Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
      So I am back because I plugged in a new external drive, used it for 2 days and now today when I started my computer I got the same "Windows must format the disk to use it" message. Now I have 3 dead hard drives. I am returning the third, I just bought it, but now I am sure something is wrong.

It is giving me the same error as the Disc 3, showing up as Not Initialized in the Disc Management but never appearing in My Computer. Attaching it internally still has the same result - not appearing in My Computer, Not Initialized in Disc Management.

I bought an entirely new WD external hard drive, and was using the new cords provided with the external.

For now, I put a new hard drive inside the computer and am using it as a back up instead of an external, but what do I do if that internal back up one fails?
      What happens if my main drive fails when I have no back-up?
      What could be causing this? Or do I somehow have really bad luck? Could it be my motherboard? I used different USB ports, but...just wondering.

I do put other devices on my computer (my phone, a music player, a tablet) and the last thing I want is those to go down, so for now I am just avoiding plugging them into the computer, just using dropbox to transfer files.

I would really appreciate help here, I am honestly worried, and I only just built this computer so it is all under warranty. Thank you for any ideas.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:39 AM »
        Your operating system (win 7) what was it installed from? truenorth

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
        I installed it from the Windows 7 disc, 64 bit. I had a key from before ( I had bought the disc and key together last year) but my disc was scratched so I bought just the disc, which according to the Windows site was okay, as long as the key was only used for one computer.

So old key, new disc. I went just now and did that Genuine Checker on The Windows site and it says " your windows is genuine" so I do not think there are any conflicts there.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »
          OK well that rules that out.Sure cannot believe this is a hardware issue. Something in software is either corrupted or out of date or is a compatibility problem.Now the 64 dollar question is what? The only thing i see common to all 3 HD's is the brand. truenorth

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 10:18:35 AM »
          That is all I can see similar too, so I will be trying a Seagate in an external enclosure for the next few days.

If that fails, I will try a reinstall. If that fails....not sure.

Hope I can get this figured out.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
          Are you using the same external enclosure for all these drives?

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • Yes
          « Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
          Are you using the same external enclosure for all these drives?

No, I have used 5 old enclousures that I have had, and when I bought the new external I used the new enclousure it came in. I have also tried different usb cords and different power cords. I have tried using diferent USB ports.

I have also tried plugging the drives in internally ( removing the drive from the enclousre and plugging it into the motherboard directly) but once the drive fails, it is gone.

I tried formatting them, but it just says Format Incomplete or gives me errors, tells me the drive is no longer plugged in, tells me the drive is not initilized, and tells me the drive is in an unrecognized format.

Thre drives do not work in other machines once they fail, so it makes me wonder, what could be failing so bad that it breaks the drive. Or if I just have horrible luck suddenly.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »
          1.  No, I have used 5 old enclousures that I have had, and when I bought the new external I used the new enclousure it came in. I have also tried different usb cords and different power cords. I have tried using diferent USB ports.

2.  I have also tried plugging the drives in internally ( removing the drive from the enclousre and plugging it into the motherboard directly) but once the drive fails, it is gone.

3.  I tried formatting them, but it just says Format Incomplete or gives me errors, tells me the drive is no longer plugged in, tells me the drive is not initilized, and tells me the drive is in an unrecognized format.

4.  Thre drives do not work in other machines once they fail, so it makes me wonder, what could be failing so bad that it breaks the drive. Or if I just have horrible luck suddenly.
          1.  Some enclosures don't work very well.  I assume these are 3.5" SATA drives?  AC adapters being used on all enclosures?  I've had no problems with 2.5" USB drives in factory enclosures, which require no external power, i.e. powered from USB directly.  Windows limits USB2.0 to 500ma.
          2,3,4.  While the drive is connected to the motherboard, run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic.  If the drive is damaged, it will return an error code.
          http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Scroll down to section on Power.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

3.5" drives are powered by 12VDC, 2.5" drives are powered by 5VDC.

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • Yes
          « Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
          1.  Some enclosures don't work very well.  I assume these are 3.5" SATA drives?  AC adapters being used on all enclosures?  I've had no problems with 2.5" USB drives in factory enclosures, which require no external power, i.e. powered from USB directly.  Windows limits USB2.0 to 500ma.
          2,3,4.  While the drive is connected to the motherboard, run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic.  If the drive is damaged, it will return an error code.
          http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Scroll down to section on Power.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

3.5" drives are powered by 12VDC, 2.5" drives are powered by 5VDC.

Yes, these are 3.5" SATA drives, all of them. All of them have 12v AC adapter cords.

Following your link, it leads me to WD software download page, but as far as I can see there is no diagnostic tool. The way I followed the links was Your link > Western Digital section (same page) which lead me (when I clicked Download Data Lifeguard) to a WD page, asking me to specify my product. As the first two drives were WD My Book Essentials, I choose that, which lead me http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=125&lang=en < Here, where the download options are Drivers, Firmware, Formatter, SmartWare update, and SmartWare user manual.

I already had SmartWare installed, but it does not detect any drives that are not assigned a drive letter, and there is no "diagnostic" option I can find.

I will google for a bit to find the WD diagnostic tool, but as of yet I have not managed to locate it. Would another drive tool work just as well, as in is there a generic diagnostic? OPr does it have to be a WD drive diagnostic tool?

Edit I found the diagnostic tool and ran it. It detected the three failed drives, all said FAIL under Smart Status. Not sure where the error code is, double clicking the failed drives opens a "Scan Drive" dialog, so they are scanning now. I did the extended scan instead of the quick scan, so I am waiting for them to complete (estimated time 4 hours T.T)

Mayuukosan

Topic Starter

Beginner
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 04:13:09 AM »
          All three drives came out of the test the same way: SMART status FAIL, Test Status PASS.

When I right click the failed drives, and choose "Show Disc Information" two have red fail markers on Spin Up Time and Raw Read Error Rate. The third only has red Fail markers next to Spin Up Time.

What else should I be looking for?