Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet connection accidentally blocking certain sites?  (Read 3037 times)

flairvoyant

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Internet connection accidentally blocking certain sites?
    « on: November 25, 2012, 06:55:17 PM »
    Hi! I've been struggling with this issue for quite a while and it's been bothering me to no end! Hopefully you might be able to help me out!

I am currently at university, using a Local Area Connection. I am aware that the university blocks torrenting which I am totally fine with though when I try to carry out a process such as posting a large entry on Livejournal.com or Dreamwidth.org, it tries to load for a couple seconds and then fails. When in Google Chrome, it says that it's "uploaded 100%" but then I receive "Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.". When using Internet Explorer, it either doesn't load at all or I get the standard "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I try to carry out a different process on dreamwidth and livejournal (editing my layout), Chrome tells me "Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset." These issues always happen no matter when I try them.

I have tried carrying out the tasks through an online proxy server but this has not changed my situation. I have also cleared out my browsing data and tried a different computer but to no avail. I have also hooked up to the university' wifi in the hope that this might change things but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Internet connection accidentally blocking certain sites?
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:44:51 AM »
    Have you discussed this with anyone at the University?  Their tech's know the system better than we do.

Evil is an exact science.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Internet connection accidentally blocking certain sites?
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »
    Have you discussed this with anyone at the University?  Their tech's know the system better than we do.

Quantos is spot on here. There's probably some restrictions on the network you're connect to at the university with regards to how you're allowed to connect. Often, these are blanket policies that will block all of a certain type of activity but end up unintentionally blocking legitimate things.

Contact your university's tech department and find out if there's anything you or they can do. Their network, their policies. They're the only ones who could answer this.