Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: extending a wifi network,,, maybe repeater network  (Read 5424 times)

fitted

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    extending a wifi network,,, maybe repeater network
    « on: October 21, 2012, 08:50:58 AM »
    hello

I am connected to a secured wifi using a wireless tp-link adapter. I can access the router settings page but I can't reach the router for connecting an Ethernet cable. the router model is: TP-Link WR641G/WR642G

I have a TP-Link WR741ND router and I want to use it to extend the wifi. so this is not a case of 2 routers directly.  because I can't connect the two routers with an Ethernet cable.  is there a way to extend the wifi using the router I have?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:10:08 AM by fitted »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: extending a wifi network,,, maybe repeater network
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »

zeroburn

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
      • Yes
      • Jared Kat Enterprises
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: extending a wifi network,,, maybe repeater network
    « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »
    If you feel like taking a plunge here, you can install an alternative firmware for your routers from DD-WRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index (this includes flashing your routers, this can brick a router if not done right, and will make a router useless if bricked)

This will allow you to create a wireless repeater, a wireless bridge, and a few other things as well, eliminating the need for an Ethernet cable. The firmware only needs to be installed on the repeater, and not the main router that connects you to the internet.

With a solution like this, you would not need to run cable throughout your house.

Directions on how to create a wireless bridge from an old router http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge. Make sure your router is compatible before trying.

If you do not feel like using the DD-WRT, using Ethernet cable between routers and setting the one that does NOT connect to the internet as a access point will do the trick, as the link from a previous poster explains in detail.
    I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.