Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hardrive  (Read 2544 times)

wemont

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    External Hardrive
    « on: November 01, 2012, 05:17:33 AM »
    Hi All

I hope some one can help me

I have put some of my Dvd collection on a external hard drive to use when away, i want to copy some of these back to a bank dvd
    I'm using a program called cloner9 to do this, the only issue is when  i go to search on the external hard drive they do no show up???

But when im not using cloner9 to copy a dvd to a disk and just view my movies on the external hard drive they all are there and i can watch any no issues

any help please

Thanks wemont

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: External Hardrive
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
    1. Why would you want to burn them back to disc if you already have the discs you took them from?

2. Burning these back to disc (therefore, making a copy of the original) is essentially pirating and we do not help with this.

wemont

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:50:19 AM »
      Well Quaxo

I thank you for your reply but if you knew the correct law

any one can copy DVDs if (like myself) you copy your own collection ie YOU OWN THEM
      LIKE I DO

So its not PIRATING
      thanks for the help

wemont

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 04:08:09 AM »

I thank you for your reply but if you knew the correct law

You need to apply that to yourself first. The "law" is different in different countries. IN Australia and New Zealand, for example, "fair use" applies. In most of the European Union, owners of copyrighted material can make a "private copy" for their own use, however advice given here will reflect the law applying in the USA, where Computerhope is based. There, DVD ripping is not legal, even if you own the original physical disk.

any one can copy DVDs if (like myself) you copy your own collection ie YOU OWN THEM
      LIKE I DO

So its not PIRATING
      thanks for the help

wemont

See above. Check your facts before shouting.