Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with building a windows 7 deployment server.  (Read 3404 times)

dlx

Topic Starter

Beginner

Help with building a windows 7 deployment server.
    « on: November 08, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
    I am trying to build a windows 7 imaging server where i can boot from a usb stick then connect to the network to image new pc. This is going to be my first server setup and I don't know how do  it, please help.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Help with building a windows 7 deployment server.
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
    If your going to go with WDS formally called RIS with say Server 2008 R2, I'd actually go with PXE (network) Boot which is easier than adding instructions to USB drive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIx4ZL0IL0 I cant view this video from work due to youtube block, but I am guessing this should help.

Only catch I have ever had with RIS with Server 2003 for XP Pro installations was that it worked great for a bunch of the same workstations where the NIC's were all the same. However if you have a mix of workstations you will need to have multiple images available from the RIS/WDS menu to account for different NIC drivers. For my odd duck workstations, I had a pile of Intel Pro 100 PCI NIC's and I would stuff one into an available PCI slot to push the image without having to create a different image with NDIS2 NIC drivers. So in the shop no matter what came thru my door for workstations to image deplay with Windows XP Pro, as long as it was a desktop with a PCI slot, I could deploy XP Pro to it without issues. I'd perform about 5 at a time at the most, but after hours when i wasnt going to cripple everyones bandwidth in the building passing 15GB to each workstation over 100mbps network.

Haven't played with WDS for 2008 or 2012 yet, only RIS with 2003, but will help as much as I can.  :)

dlx

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Help with building a windows 7 deployment server.
      « Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
      Thank you sir... I really apreciate your help. The video you sent me is very helpful, I saw the wds with usb stick to deploy method i like it and I would like to try it. I  am going to use the pxe method you mentionned but if you can help me get a link with instruction on how to set one up and have the boot file on a usb stick to connect to the network I would be very happy.
      Thank you,