Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shutting down when closed  (Read 3406 times)

Warrenisit

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Shutting down when closed
    « on: November 12, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »
    Hi there,

My computer has been acting up lately for a reason I can't figure out.  When I close my laptop it usually goes to sleep and when I open it I have to push the power key to get it back going.  For the past week or so about half the time I reopen my computer I find that it had shut off while closed.  The power button starts the computer and brings me to the "Your computer did not shut down properly" screen.  After it finally boots up an error message pops up saying "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown."  When I press "View Problem Detail" this is what shows up.          Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:   BlueScreen
      OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:   1033

Along with this problem Google Chrome has been RIDICULOUSLY slow.  I can just barely scroll through a page it's so slow.  Internet Explorer is faster but still isn't up to par.  I'm guessing these problems all relate.  I run the latest version of Kaspersky Antivirus and have had this on my comp for almost a year now.  I'm positive it's not a virus and most likely a software issue but have no idea where to start looking.  Could you please help me find out what the problem is?  If you need any extra info feel free to ask.  Thank you very much!

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
    Version   6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    ASUSTeK:  System Model    N75SF
    Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2195 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter
    GeForce GT 555M   
    Display adapter type Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 
    RAM 8GB

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Shutting down when closed
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 12:16:10 AM »
    I'd look around in Power Management Setting. If all looks correct, change it to another configuraton  such as how many minutes before screen goes black etc, and then reboot, then change it to the configuration you want and reboot and see if that works. This will force writing of the correct power management settings to the registry. There should be an option under power management to have it hibernate when lid is closed, which should already be selected.

Other than that you could always backup your data to an external drive and then rebuild your laptop from the system restore DVD's or chose a earlier restore point and see if the system behaves when lid is closed after reverting to an earlier point in time of system state.

*The only time I have seen a hibernation crash was when a hard drive is just about completely full and so Windows is unable to write from RAM the system state to hard drive, and so it crashes due to not enough free space to send the image to. How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Warrenisit

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Shutting down when closed
      « Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
      That makes a lot of sense.  So I changed my power options to shut the computer doff when the lid closes, closed the lid (shutting it down), then switched it back to the Sleep setting when the lid is closed and restarted it.  Hopefully this fixes the problem.  Makes sense how you explained it.  I also uninstalled then reinstalled Chrome and it seems to be working like it should be. 

I've got four hard drives at around 250GB a piece but the one with the OS on it is only half full.  The other three are even less full.  Hopefully this was a quick and easy fix.  If problems reoccur I'll be back.  Thanks a bunch for all the help!