Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wierd Monitor  (Read 3008 times)

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Wierd Monitor
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

Hi , I've got a home built PC with a gigabyte M68M-S2P mb with onboard graphics NVIDEA GeForce 7025 / NVIDEA nForce 630a , a AMD Sempron 140 cpu and 4gb ram , the monitor is a samtron 94v flat screen.

The other day was working online , I'd got 3 browsers going ( aol , Firefox , and ie ) which is normal for me then for no aparent reason the screen froze , the pointer wouldn't move , couldn't change browsers - then it was like the background faded slightly and the brightness was turned up after a couple of minutes it sort of clicked back to normal ( no noise ) and has been fine since.

Can anyone explain what this was ? if anything is starting to crap out on me ?

Thanks , Adam

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Wierd Monitor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »
The system started to respond after a while without needing a force restart? Odd if true. A Virus scan and a seatools diagnostic wouldn't hurt.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ [Excellent free program for determining if your hard drive is on the way out]

One thing though. Why three different browsers? Surely that would just use unnecessary extra RAM memory when you could open multiple instances of firefox.

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »
 HI

Yes , started again before I'd even got past the clicking on the mouse and shouting at it !. I do run a couple of virus scans ( Avast , Malwarebytes , and spybot ) regularly but I'll give them another go just in case and I'll try the seagate tool as well.

Why 3 browsers , aol is the isp I've been with for years and use there browser when I start up and for email , firefox gets used for general webpages , and I use IE for particular programs and searches ( as I get nectar points per search but it only works on ie  ) then spend all night flicking between the 3 ( sends the missus up the wall ).

Thanks , Adam

Adam67

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »

Hi

Right tried the seagate scan , but it wouldn't work - found out my hd is western , used the western digital's  data lifeguard diagnostic. It came back with - smart scan : pass , test result after scan : pass. I'll try an extended test tomorrow.

It happened again today , froze then brightened the flick back to normal did it 3/4 times one after the other then it was back to normal.

Could it be the monitor and is there a way to test it ?

Thanks , Adam

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
No assurance but you could try a different monitor for confirmation. If you have both the dedicated and onboard video, check it on both ends to see the difference.