Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to File Share?  (Read 2804 times)

kamikaze33

Topic Starter

Intermediate

How to File Share?
    « on: November 16, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
    id like to share files from my school computer to my desktop. The desktop is hardlined to a router, so i could just connect my laptop to that. How do i share the files? I dont really know how to set up a workgroup/file sharing (can someone point me towards a tutorial?)
    unless theres an better way, say just connecting the two computers directly over ethernet (though i dont think that is possible/simple is it?)

thanks!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to File Share?
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »
    Depending on the OS of your laptop and desktop, the file sharing and homegroup setup are most likely available online. Such as this link.

richardf77

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: How to File Share?
      « Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
      I have just been trying to do a similar thing with my home network. i have a desktop pc that is hard-wired to my router and 2 laptops that connect wirelessly. All run Windows 7 home premium. I have set up a home group and i think i have configured all the permissions (after a lot of trial and error). There should be nothing stopping files being viewed or transferred. However when i go into my home-group none of the library folders will open to show me the files. I am confused since i can view some files and folders over the general network but not all. Setting individual folder permissions makes no difference.

Does it matter that i cant use the homegroup if i can view the files i want over the main network? I am a little confused over the difference.

can anyone help please?