Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disc reading error  (Read 2771 times)

intoxiquer

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Disc reading error
    « on: January 24, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »
    Im fairly good when it comes to computer knowledge but this has frustrated me to the point that I brought my less two year old laptop into staples for help. unfortunately after looking at reviews ive noticed that i might have gotten into trouble doing that.

The Problem:
    The other day I was syncing my iphone in tunes and it froze for awhile so I went to bring up the task manager to end the process. I have windows 7 premium 64bit & when you press ctrl alt del it bring up a different 'display' such as the login, & you choose task manager. Well that 'display' didnt show after a few good minutes, just black with a moveable cursor. So I forced a shutdown. When i turned it back on it would usually say an error during shut down, start up normally? but instead it said error loading operating system press ctrl alt del to restart, so i did, a couple times.. by the third time it said disc read error press ctrl alt del to restart.. Thats all it does now, black screen saying that in the upper left corner. I cant even start it up in safe mode. I tried going into BIOS to change the boot order but after a couple tries it didnt work and Ive never done that & didnt want to break anything else.. So I enabled a system password incase it is a virus or something hacking me.

I brought it into staples today and I showed them the problem and they said it was most likely the harddrive. I asked about data recovery & he said he'll try. The starting price is 70.00 ; 74.82 after taxes. After they run a diagnostics they will use the 70 towards whatever service it needs. Im not sure yet what they are going to say, & it seems like this could be anywhere between 200-450 after reading reviews online.

Could anyone determine the computer problem from experience with this exact problem?
    Is staples going to rip me off? I havent read good reviews.

I didnt have enough money on my card to pay the initial 74.82 fee so the guy let me go and said we'll just total it all up after.. but say this is too much money or someone can help me fix the problem by myself, do you think I could get my computer back without paying anything except something as a thanks anyway but no thanks? Or if he gives me a load of bull and I battle him with my knowledge ( from you gracious folks! )

Hope someone can help me! If it is easier to email me please do so! 

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Disc reading error
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »
    I tried going into BIOS to change the boot order but after a couple tries it didnt work and Ive never done that & didnt want to break anything else.. So I enabled a system password incase it is a virus or something hacking me.
    What brand/type is this HD? How about loading set defaults first and making sure the HD is seen in your BIOS setup? What happens when you change the boot priority? Enabling password would not help you at this point as its not related. Check first if the hard drive is not yet failed. Look for the brand name/type of your drive and download an ISO bootable disc and test it for any errors found.
    But to retrieve any important files, see this <link> and good luck.