Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer wont boot-up  (Read 2758 times)

marline

computer wont boot-up
« on: October 04, 2005, 09:11:32 AM »
I removed my chip from my computer, the fan was full of dust, I replaced it and now my computer wont boot up. I made sure pin 1 was at the right place, my computer wont even start to the bios, could it be that I need a new battery?

Computer_Commando

Re: computer wont boot-up
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 12:56:37 PM »
I removed my chip from my computer, the fan was full of dust, I replaced it and now my computer wont boot up. I made sure pin 1 was at the right place, my computer wont even start to the bios, could it be that I need a new battery?

I assume you mean you removed the CPU fan from the CPU, is that right?  Did you replace the fan with a new fan?  New battery?  No.  You reinstalled something wrong, check again.

marline

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 02:37:28 PM »
I removed the fan to clean, I did remove chip also, I do believe I put it in correct? I just went home and installed a new battery. Tryed to boot and nothing! The monitor says "No signal"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:42:48 PM by marline »

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 02:49:55 PM »
    I removed the fan to clean, I did remove chip also, I do believe I put it in correct? I just went home and installed a new battery. Tryed to boot and nothing! The monitor says "No signal"

HOw did you reinstall the cip tell me what you did I think you missed something out tell me excatly what you did.
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 02:50:32 PM »
    Did you lock the CPU in place?  Did you forget to plug the fan back in after cleaning?  Are you sure the fan works?

marline

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 03:28:17 PM »
    first i turned off computer, unpluged it , then i removed fan & metal square with slots on it, this is where the dust was. Then like a dummy I remover the chip, I thought i might be able to up grade it so i removed it to get the information off of it. Put the chip back in lowered the locking bar, replaced fan & metal thing. plugged back up the computer, pressed the power button, fan on chip has power and is running, but hard drive is not kicking in. I get a slight humming sound, but no hard drive activity.

marline

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 03:38:07 PM »
    Hello, are u guy's still out there, Im pretty sure I put it in correctly, one corner of the chip has a bigger notch in it than the other three side's, I assume it is pin one , right? the other side has a letter "N" on it. The box on the mother board has one corner that has a few less holes on it,  with one pin in the corner. I hope this is pin one. Did I do it wrong or what, I hope I did'nt screw it up!

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 04:23:45 PM »
    The cpu chip will only fit one way.........re-paste the cpu chip with artic paste and then replace the heatsink>> ........The monitor says "No signal"  reseat graphics card if it has one..........

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 04:45:47 PM »
    It worked before, then you removed it and when you replaced the item it no longer worked.

It seems obvious that the chip has been ruined or is reassembled incorrectly. No other possibilities I can think of. Did you ground yourself properly before doing this surgery?

marline

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 09:53:27 AM »
    Don't know if I ground my self or not! And the chip seems to have never had any paste on it, that I can tell?Where might I get this paste, and where do I put it. I guess If I fryed it I will have to get another mother board. Can you recommend one that might suit a teen , for surfing the net and doing home work. On a mini tower, nothing fancy or expensive.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
    ...And the chip seems to have never had any paste on it,...

Not necessary if it has a thermal pad.

Frankie

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 11:11:40 AM »
      Did yo make sure yo placed the heatsink and fan on correctly.

marline

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 11:22:39 AM »
      I put the heat sink smooth side towards chip and slotter side toward fan. Then I snapped fan to chip, it has power and is blowing.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 11:37:04 AM »
      ...Then I snapped fan to chip...

Don't know how the fan snaps to the chip.  Is this a Pentium 1, 2, 3, or 4?

From bottom to top:
      Motherboard socket
      CPU
      Heatsink
      Fan

Fan is attached to heatsink, heatsink mounts on CPU which is in socket.  Heatsink snaps to motherboard socket.