Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Keyboard or Mouse  (Read 2546 times)

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    No Keyboard or Mouse
    « on: November 26, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
    Dell Dimension 2350, I orgianally had this unit connected to a PS/2 KVM Switch but, I took some units off the network an moved the unit to a usb KVM.  When I boot it up to the login screen I dont have a mouse or keyboard know.  I tried useing the OS Disk an doing a repair still not to have it work.  Logitech USB Keyboard an Mouse

TechnoGeek

Re: No Keyboard or Mouse
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
    Are you still attached to the KVM? Try it without the KVM (plug the keyboard and mouse into the computer directly) and see if it works then -- if it does, then the KVM is the problem.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
    What's the make and model of your KVM switch?

Depending on the KSV switch class, some aren't properly recognized as a valid keyboard/mouse until Windows loads drivers. Hub base and emulated switchers are particularly guilty of this. Hub base requires all devices be re-recognized by the target system when switched and emulated ones have limited support for anything plugged into them to begin with.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »
      Are you still attached to the KVM? Try it without the KVM (plug the keyboard and mouse into the computer directly) and see if it works then -- if it does, then the KVM is the problem.

That seems to be it.  I have the driver know an have to remote in after I plug in the drive an see what it says then.  I tried a mouse wireless usb an it worked with out any issues. 

I dont know off hand
      Depending on the KSV switch class, some aren't properly recognized as a valid keyboard/mouse until Windows loads drivers. Hub base and emulated switchers are particularly guilty of this. Hub base requires all devices be re-recognized by the target system when switched and emulated ones have limited support for anything plugged into them to begin with.

Ryuk

Topic Starter

Adviser

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »

I went to the logitech site an got the driver for that keyboard an installed it.  I hate haveing to add unnecessary software but, least its working.