Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: JAVA security problems  (Read 6908 times)

02bin3

JAVA security problems
« on: November 28, 2012, 02:04:45 PM »
Does anyone out there know if JAVA has fixed the holes in their security?  I am presently not running it and fortunately haven't run into any websites that require it, but, I would like to know if it is safe to download it as there are a few games that I like to play on line that would probably require it.  Thank you

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: JAVA security problems
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
The only security loopholes that exist in java are from running older versions that have been exploited...
DLoad and install the latest version and you'll be fine.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
Does anyone out there know if JAVA has fixed the holes in their security?

All software has Security issues. The question is whether they are known to the general public and the developer. In the case of Java, it's common to see news articles saying that "oracle issues security fix".

People, however, assume the worst. They think automatically that the security problem was something that means a person can send you to a page that uses Java and take complete control of the system. That is a security issue, of course, but even being able to read the Menu bar items from a Java Applet in a browser would be a security problem. The vast majority of such "Security issues" are not nearly to the level that they can be actively used to infect people with malware without their knowledge. Other's only work in specific browsers, and still others only work across an intranet or local network.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.