Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FAX with DSL?  (Read 3272 times)

program not responding

Topic Starter

Beginner

FAX with DSL?
    « on: December 03, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »
    Dear Forum,
    I have DSL, and am trying to get my FAX machine to work. I rarely need it, but now I do. I have a filter in line, but it still doesn't seem to get out. It dials, but no reply. Is it possible to do this?
    Thanks!
    Mike
     ;)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: FAX with DSL?
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:29:50 AM »
    I was thinking that if you disconnected your DSL modem so it is no longer handshaking your line will be free from the conflict of DSL noise, then send fax and then reconnect dsl modem and be back up and running, but this link below shows how to make it work permanently.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4473544_hook-up-fax-machine-dsl.html

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: FAX with DSL?
    « Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:19:43 AM »
    As long as you have your filters connected properly, there should be nothing stopping the fax from working.

Keep in mind you need to have a filter on each and every phone and fax that share that line with the DSL, as well as a filter on the DSL itself. Make sure you've connected the phones/fax to the "PHONE" plugs on the filter, and the DSL modem to the "DSL/Modem" plug on the filter.

Faxes work just like phones. They dial exactly like phones do and they communicate through sound. If you are able to pick up a phone and make a call but the fax still isn't working, either the filter the fax is on isn't working or the fax itself is having issues with dialing.

I've never heard of not having a filter on a phone causing it not to be able to dial though. However, it can cause the DSL signal/connection to drop out when the phone is in use or cause background noise in a call.