Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my computer will not boot past the acer logo  (Read 19436 times)

chefken

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    my computer will not boot past the acer logo
    « on: December 23, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
    I have an Acer Aspire asa85-uc521h desktop.  When I power it up it makes one beep and then displays the Acer logo. The fan starts and the lights flash but nothing. I have pressed del and f12 as instructed to no avail.  I have tried a boot disk but I think the bios is probably set to boot from the hard drive as it would not read it.  Since I cannot get in I cannot run safe mode or anything else.  I have tried to reset the bios by removing the cmos for a minute and then replacing it to no avail.  I have tried disconnecting the hard drive and the dvd/cd and I still get one beep.  If I pull the ram it screams with one long beep (over and over).  I put the ram back and it is back to its one beep.  I would appreciate any ideas.  Thanks,  Chef Ken

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: my computer will not boot past the acer logo
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 03:21:35 AM »
    First I'd, Remove the laptops battery for a day and then plug the battery back into the laptop and try to boot it up. Have seen this help with failed POST boot conditions before.

If this doesnt help try the following:

If you can not get into the bios config by using the hot key, than it may be a system board issue. If you boot it off of the minimum, without hard drive installed, 1 ram stick only if it has 2 sticks, and it still hangs at the logo its likely a system board issue.

As far as laptops go, the bios's these days are no longer easily reset by removing and reinstalling CMOS battery. They added an extra level of security to laptops that are locked by bios password etc to disallow resetting stolen laptop bios to no password by popping battery out or jumper or push button like desktop computers have. This unfortunately also took away the troubleshooting tool of bios reset! *The stupid part of this bios lock feature is that if someone has stolen a laptop, they can always just pop the hard drive out and have the data anyways in less than 10 minutes unless encrypted.

I have also seen where if you change the parameters of the system you can unhang a bios error, such as adding additional RAM stick or decreasing the RAM count by installing a smaller amount of RAM without removing all RAM count so that the system has to confirm the hardware change and write that information back to flash as the newest configuration so you dont get prompted again about confirming hardware.

chefken

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »
      My pc is a desktop but I tried your suggestions.  I disconneted the hard drive as well as the dvd/cd drive. I removed and replaced the cmos (after about 10 min). When I rebooted the system I heard the one beeb and back to the Acer screen.  Are there certain buttons I should try other than the del or f12 as directed by the screen?  I believe I have only one stick of ram (512 mb) and when I removed that and rebooted the pc it screamed like a banshee.  When I returned it to the slot and rebooted it, only the one beep and the Acer logo screen. Any ideas what to do next?  Any help would be appreciated.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »
      Single beep means POST is successful.  Remove any USB items; if it has a card reader, disconnect it from the motherboard, card readers are USB devices.

BTW, in order to POST, you must have CPU, CPU fan, RAM (minimal is OK), keyboard, graphics card (onboard or separate).

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »
      You may also on reviewing the above suggestion tap F8 repeatedly on re-boot to see if safemode loads properly...
      Dont panic if it looks wierd...thats normal.
      Then we can determine it's a Windows issue...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

chefken

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
        I have unplugged the card reader and have tried the f8 ( as well as numerous others) all with the same result.  I beep then logo screen.  I tried unplugging the dvd drive and the hd, also no change.  I pulled the ram out and it screamed like a banshee.  It calmed down when I re-installed and went back to it's usual one beep and Acer logo.