Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant move Cursor :(  (Read 10516 times)

Dispiacere

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Cant move Cursor :(
    « on: December 27, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »
    *just a little note, I use this computer on average 4-8 hours a day every day, so urgency in getting this fix is a must for me, and I REALLY appreciate anyone who helps*

For Christmas I had received a Gaming mouse (Ttesports Black Gaming Mouse) and later that day I had plugged it in and tried it, worked great! I played around with it and thought I had better install the drivers in case it had other features that could only be used with the appropriate drivers. My CD drive isn't plugged in so I just downloaded them from the site, had no problem and along with the drivers had a snazzy little program that I enjoyed that let me play with the sensitivity. Yesterday(or the next day) I got on and was browsing the internet, nothing special, didn't download anything mostly just looking at a image board and facebook, I turned off my monitor because I thought I was going to be stepping out for a short time, after getting a call notifying me that I was going to be waiting around for about an hour I thought I would browse some more. When I turned my monitor back on and went to move the mouse the cursor wouldn't move, the buttons worked fine, but the cursor wouldn't move. I plugged in my old mouse(just a cheap usb one) so I could scour the internet for solutions, after about an hour of trying fixes and searching the USB mouse's cursor stopped working(and not immediately after a fix, while browsing google). I am not using my Tablet, but about 10 minutes ago it started acting a bit funny, it would occasionally freeze for a few moments then start again.

I have uninstalled all the drivers(except for my tablet) for all the mice, I have restarted the computer into safe mode and switched my monitor from hdmi to VGA. I have started hardware wizard after uninstalling the drivers and it never finds anything. I am at my wits end!

TL;DR
    *mice stopped working for no reason(no software/hardware change)
    *I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    *already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the HID Complient Drivers
    *switched from HDMI to VGA in case of conflict
    *restarted in safemode, still didn't work
    *tried both mice on a different computer, they worked fine, tried other computers mice on mine, wouldn't work
    *Only my tablet will work as a mouse
    « Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:40:16 PM by Dispiacere »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Cant move Cursor :(
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 01:30:10 PM »
    You said you restarted in safe mode but you didn't say if the mouse worked in safe mode.

Dispiacere

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »
      You said you restarted in safe mode but you didn't say if the mouse worked in safe mode.

Sorry, edited the OP, but no it didn't work

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
      Did you use the same usb port for both mice? Do you have other devices connected via usb?

Please open device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

Dispiacere

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
        Did you use the same usb port for both mice? Do you have other devices connected via usb?

Please open device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

I switched the one mouse from one usb port to another, the second mouse had its own third port, I even tested the ports with a USB drive. I also checked device manager, and as far as I see no red or yellow symbols

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »
        Just some random thoughts:

I'm not big on coincidences, but if both mice don't work I'm leaning toward a cause other than the new mouse or software

The fact that it doesn't work in safe mode rules out something loading with the OS - including the mouse software

Your usb ports seem to be okay, so let's rule that out for the moment. And I'm guessing it's not malware for several reasons.

Sooooo, let's check a few things:

1) Please open task manager and on the Processes tab sort on the cpu column. Is anything spiking?

2) Does your system by any chance have a ps2 mouse port? If so, do you have a usb to ps2 adapter? If so,................

3) Let's run checkdisk (right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot).

4) Let's check the ram (download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility).

To be honest, I'm just guessing here. It's odd that two different mice don't work but other usb devices do. And it's odd that the problem is also occurs in safe mode.

Dispiacere

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
          Just some random thoughts:

I'm not big on coincidences, but if both mice don't work I'm leaning toward a cause other than the new mouse or software

The fact that it doesn't work in safe mode rules out something loading with the OS - including the mouse software

Your usb ports seem to be okay, so let's rule that out for the moment. And I'm guessing it's not malware for several reasons.

Sooooo, let's check a few things:

1) Please open task manager and on the Processes tab sort on the cpu column. Is anything spiking?

2) Does your system by any chance have a ps2 mouse port? If so, do you have a usb to ps2 adapter? If so,................

3) Let's run checkdisk (right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot).

4) Let's check the ram (download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility).

To be honest, I'm just guessing here. It's odd that two different mice don't work but other usb devices do. And it's odd that the problem is also occurs in safe mode.

1) no, everything is normal with nothing being higher then 3(chrome)

2) no, I dont have a ps2 port, should I do 3 and 4 even though I dont have one? Also I dont have a CD drive atm, I have virtual drives with daemon tools though

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
          The virtual drives may actually be creating this issue...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
          Daemon tools has been known to cause all sorts of problems. Let's try something just for the heck of it. Please uninstall Daemon tools and reboot (you can always reinstall it later if you like). And yes, there's certainly no harm in checking ram and hd.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 03:14:47 PM »
          A minute? Really?

Dispiacere

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
            Daemon tools has been known to cause all sorts of problems. Let's try something just for the heck of it. Please uninstall Daemon tools and reboot (you can always reinstall it later if you like). And yes, there's certainly no harm in checking ram and hd.

Just finished run chkdsk, had no errors(bad sectors) and finished without problems. I will uninstall daemon tools, though it has been on my comp for a long time without issue, I will report back here when finished.

*update*
            Uninstalled and restarted, still nothing

**update** just finished a RAM test(no errors) and still doesn't work
            « Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:03:19 PM by Dispiacere »

Dispiacere

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »
              http://pastebin.com/twxJnyRe

here is my ntbtlog.txt file, if it helps

Dispiacere

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »
                Ok, I am beyond confused. My boyfriend arrives home to try and fix it, he takes his mouse(the exact same as the one that wont work on mine, which I already tested on my computer and it didn't work) and unplugs it and plugs my mouse in. It doesn't work, he then plugs in my other cheap mouse that doesn't work on my computer and it works on his. At this point I take his mouse(again, pointing out I already tried this earlier) and plugged it into my computer, it suddenly works! He then switches it back so my old mouse is plugged in and now it works! He at this point plugs my old mouse(the one that just started working) back into his computer and it now works on his also, I have no idea why this fixed it, the cheap mouse still doesn't work when plugged in but I dont care. I am very happy but also EXTREMELY confused. Any idea what this fixed it?